Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:45 PM

Walking chihuahuas

Apparently, you are only supposed to walk chi’s for about 20 minutes a day. Otherwise you will overtire them and exhaust them! Well! Our two never read the manual and regularly stay out for anything up to 2 hours! And then they still go mad and chase each other around the house. They are a pair of absolute nutters!
Pictures to follow shortly.

It was a lovely evening walk, just beginning to get dark. We saw several deer venturing into peoples gardens!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:48 PM

Re: Walking chihuahuas

I thought it was for up to 30 mins a time lead walking but off lead its free time?
FridgeMagnet
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I thought it was for up to 30 mins a time lead walking but off lead its free time?
We wouldn’t dare let ours off the lead! They would just challenge everyone and everything they came across! Not visciously. But they are so territorial!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:05 PM

I lived with a chap who had a Heinz 57 and a chi. My golden retriever made 3.

We lived way up in t'hills, walkies consisted of styles, fields, hills and a quarry. Walks were never less than 45 mins. Little Mel (the chi) always kept up. TBH, they aren't my favourite breed of dog, but she was such a spirited little thing.

When we had 6' snow drifts, ice and frost, Little Mel would be walking out with the us. I was amazed one so small could do it TBH. She struggled, but she seemed to love it, keeping up with the other two, having to be picked up out of the snow when she got stuck
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:15 PM

I agree with Pesta.

I would never over-exercise a puppy, that could indeed do damage, but an adult should be a strong as you make them as long as they have been bred and reared properly.

Carry them about in handbags etc and they will never build up muscle and bone.

My friend's long coat Chi who lived up in the Highlands of Scotland, was used to exercising with her 2 German Shepherds, sheepdogs and Lurcher, and even did a 10 mile marathon with her once.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
We wouldn’t dare let ours off the lead! They would just challenge everyone and everything they came across! Not visciously. But they are so territorial!
But that restricts them from wandering around, exploring, sniffing.........they get to go just where you constrain them to go.

Ours is off the lead almost all of the time. He gets along with other dogs Actually, that's not quite right. He mostly is just plain rude and ignores them.

On our evening walk earlier we met a dog walker with her dog on it's lead. A fearful dog she said. Max looked but just walked on with me.
"Let's go" is all the instruction required.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:47 PM

the nice thing with a chihuahua is you could just pick them up and put them in your handbag when they get tired. What a luxury. My boy weighs 11 to 12 kilos, not so easy to carry.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
the nice thing with a chihuahua is you could just pick them up and put them in your handbag when they get tired. What a luxury. My boy weighs 11 to 12 kilos, not so easy to carry.

WHAT?? Blimey, that's more than my Bedlingtons Annie.
FridgeMagnet

15-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Our two will take on anything when they’re out for a walk!
I’ve seen Shepherds, Rottweilers, Great Danes and Dalmatians all backing away nervously, when our two get started. Considering that they are both smaller than an average cat! They have no idea of the confusion they are creating!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:00 AM

My grand dog Rose is a chi x bichon, she's about guinea pig size and probably lighter, she will take on any size dog and is very gobby!
My Dolores is a chi x shitzu about shnauzer size and is scared of everything, has only barked twice since I adopted her.
Both will walk for miles, not that I can!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top