Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 04:01 PM

Computer Security

Hi all.

May I ask you all, what Security do you use on your computer? Is it Norton or some other make, and do you think its good?

Susie
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Re: Computer Security

Susie my Broadband provider is EE and I noticed when looking at their website that they offered a years free Norton plus another year at half price so I took advantage of the offer.
I have found it ok and easy to use.

Before that I had AVG which was free but it changed I think they were taken over by another company and they started to send me daily requests to upgrade and freezing things so I ditched them .

When that time is up with Norton I may go with Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition or AVAST which is also free.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 04:20 PM

I use Eset smart security which updates automatically. It's not free but I can't remember how much it is off hand. I have used it for a couple of years now and never had a problem. It catches viruses and warns you of dodgy addresses. It was recommended to me by a computer repair man.
Andwar
Bristol, UK.
Andwar is male  Andwar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 04:26 PM

If you are using Windows 10, all you need is Windows Defender. It is adequate for basic use. I have been using it for a few years and I have had no problems.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 04:54 PM

I would not touch Norton with a bargepole, once on your computer very difficult to get rid of.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andwar ->
If you are using Windows 10, all you need is Windows Defender. It is adequate for basic use. I have been using it for a few years and I have had no problems.
I've recently decided this is the way to go, after using a couple of freebie scanners over the past 10+ years. They just slow your computer down, eat memory.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:36 PM

I agree .....

I run quick scans daily and full scans monthly with Malwarebytes quick/full scans inbetweentimes .....

It's advisable to run a cleaner beforehand so that rubbish doesn't slow down the scans - CCleaner for simplicity and PrivaZer for a comprehensive purge .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I would not touch Norton with a bargepole, once on your computer very difficult to get rid of.

Neither would I, or MacAfee for that matter. Both total bloatware.

I used the paid for Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite for a number of years but got fed up with all the failed virus definitions downloads. Currently, I'm using Bitdefender Internet Security for anti-virus and firewall and Malwarebytes for malware (what else ) and website protection. Both are the paid for versions.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 07:01 PM

As long as you manually download the virus definitions from time to time otherwise you have to wait for Windows updates.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2018, 07:50 PM

For me,it's 360 Total Security,as it incorporates various well-known and respected anti-malware icons. BUT...I back it up with CC and the free version of Antimalwarebytes-both of which compliment it beautifully....ergo,no problems on any machine. [I use Windows 7 64-bit on my Dell,but Linux Mint on both my Toshiba & my HP]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top