Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 05:21 AM

Visa for sex workers?

What d'you reckon, d'you think Oz has a shortage of 'legal' 'skilled' sex workers?

The Scarlet Alliance migration program manager, Jules Kim, said sex workers were just as skilled as other workers allowed to fly into Australia on the four-year work visas.

"The (Immigration Department) considers that sex work is not a skilled occupation and so they've been excluded,'' she told News Limited yesterday.
"That's discriminatory and we want equal rights.''
The Immigration Department already lets Australian companies "import'' overseas workers to fill 624 types of jobs.
The skilled occupations include massage therapists, gardeners, florists, cooks, dog handlers, fashion designers, bed and breakfast operators, entertainers, dancers, recreation officers, makeup artists, jockeys, gymnastic coaches and horse riding instructors.
Scarlet Alliance has told a Senate inquiry into 457 visas that "sex work is no less skilled than other occupations" on the official skills-shortage list.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Re: Visa for sex workers?

What a great idea, we should get all our sex workers to emigrate.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 08:26 AM

I would like to give my opinion on this Maggis but that link isn't working for me .
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 08:40 AM

Hasn't Australia got enough prostitutes Maggis?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
What a great idea, we should get all our sex workers to emigrate.
love it Wrinkly.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 08:49 AM

I read a book about this girl who had been duped to go to Amsterdam with regard to a fictitious job. She was kidnapped and made to work as a prostitute and plied with drugs to keep her dependant. Based on a true story and was horrendous. She was treated like an animal. So maybe they should consider them as 'skilled workers' where they can be looked after and have rights just like others, else they only end up in ruthless criminal hands.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 08:50 AM

Do the Australian authorities recognise it as a legal occupation?
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 09:53 AM

- Scarlet Alliance Australian Sex Workers Association
www.scarletalliance.org.au/‎
Scarlet Alliance Executive Committee Position Vacancies. Scarlet Alliance will be holding an election for three positions [2 General Member Positions as well as ...
‎Contact Scarlet Alliance - ‎State by State Laws in Australia - ‎Job Vacancies - ‎Events

Don't blame me I was only being helpful, and I haven't actually read it, I didn't know it would come up with a working link, they don't as a rule when I post them, so apologies if it's inapprpriate, but I'm adding this as an edit so couldn't get it out if I wanted.
2nd edit it's not there so it's OK but the answer seems to be Yes it's legal in parts.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 09:56 AM

It's decriminalised in a few areas but not here in SA altho' there are lots of them here and we certainly wouldn't need to import any from other countries and I reckon it would stop the 'slave trade' if it were made legal, I'm all for the idea of compulsory health checks etc and doing away with pimps

Darn! I only read the story this a.m. and now can't find it, sorry, but the gist of it is that they want to import even more workers on this scheme ( back door immigration?) and we don't need them(imo)

Thanks Hazel
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 09:59 AM

I dislike the thought of the sex trade and wish it didn't exist but I know it always will and for those who need it, this:

Originally Posted by maggis ->
I reckon it would stop the 'slave trade' if it were made legal, I'm all for the idea of compulsory health checks etc and doing away with pimps
is what changes my mind - it should be made a legal occupation and given all the protection that other workers have (as long as they pay tax and NI (or the Ozzie equivalent))

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top