Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 09:18 PM

Re: What is yet to come ?

I was influenced by an old boy who lived in an old cottage down the road from my gran. HE used to stand by his gate & said on the one time that we spoke that I'd be
" As welcome as the flowers in MAy" if I returned.

However I was put off by his departure from the normal & his face became very dark & angry & he started muttering to me in a very serious voice,

"Mark my words RObbie, all this will end by domination by a yellow skinned race & then destroyed by fire"

It seemed rather "Off the wall" & it was rather abstract. AFter he said it he behaved as if nothing had been said, in later years I thought perhaps it was not real, but this evening it all came back to me. CReepy ennit?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Your post and the prediction is even more frightening and depressing than mine Robert. At least my post was thinking in the far distant future.
Well, one thing is sure to happen.

NO one will be able to predict accurately the manner in which this planet "Ends"
BY END< I mean the end of us, it's current inhabitants. THe Earth is a living "Being" which will eventually shrug us off into OBLIVION. This is the GAIA theory.

The Gaia hypothesis, also known as Gaia theory or Gaia principle, proposes that organisms interact with their inorganic surroundings on Earth to form a self-regulating, complex system that contributes to maintaining the conditions for life on the planet. Topics of interest include how the biosphere and the evolution of life forms affect the stability of global temperature, ocean salinity, oxygen in the atmosphere and other environmental variables that affect the habitability of Earth.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 06:47 AM

Get a grip folks.

Dinosaurs came and went within 250 million years, mammals have only been the dominant species for 65 million, Man has been around for less than 4.5 million in fact life only started on earth 3 billion years ago. So 8 billion years is a long time to wait.

(Figures quoted from memory so might be a (b)million out here or there)

maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Be afraid, be very afraid

http://www.cnbc.com

(Copied from site)

How's this for a weekend conference: Some of the smartest people in the world are gathering in New York to try to figure out how to build lifelike copies of humans ... to be eventually uploaded with the contents of a real human brain.
Dmitry says that we could have the first phase—that will enable people to operate a nonbiological body—in the next seven years. And he believes that the concept can be proved viable in the next three years. He is talking about an artificial body with sensations—the sensation that you would be walking in the body.
The next phase (Avatar B) is brain transplantation. Instead of your dying, neurosurgeons isolate the brain and some of the spinal chord, put it in a life support system, and that is inserted into the android developed in Avatar A. The timetable: 2020-25.
In the next phase (Avatar C), you make the brain non-biological by uploading it into a computer. The timetable: 2030-35.
Sounds crazy? One of the speakers, Theodore Berger, will show how he has already replaced the hippocampus—the part of the brain most heavily associated with memory—of a rat with a computer chip. Berger has shown that rats so implanted can have a memory without the original biological component.
The final phase (Avatar D) is replacement of the physical body with a nonphysical, hologram-like body. You are essentially living inside a computer, but you can physically manifest yourself as a hologram. Think Princess Leia in "Star Wars." The goal: 2045.
Work has already started in Avatars A, B and C. These are parallel threads of scientific research, Itskov said.
Uploading a human brain may be a couple of decades away, if ever, but along the way a lot of new, highly profitable technologies may be developed. Itskov will be unveiling a series of products that are immediately investable to the investors present.
IBM, for example, scored a huge PR hit when its Watson computer defeated the reigning "Jeopardy" champion. Watson is essentially a state-of-the-art artificial intelligence; it is now being tested for use as an advisor to doctors for medical diagnoses. The potential market: every doctor in the world.
To show how far these technologies have come, Itskov plans to unveil a robotic model of his own head that will move and talk in tandem with his movements, built by Hanson Robotics.

Read more at http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/201...mwqdqpwd9FV.99
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
How's this for a weekend conference: Some of the smartest people in the world are gathering in New York to try to figure out how to build lifelike copies of humans ... to be eventually uploaded with the contents of a real human brain. D
Wow! a Raquel Welsh or Ursula Andress for everybody. Bring it on...

Mind you, they can't be that smart if they want to give it a brain.

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Wow! a Raquel Welsh or Ursula Andress for everybody. Bring it on...

Mind you, they can't be that smart if they want to give it a brain.

Stop slavering Bruce. Now it's my turn to say it - "Get a Grip"
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I can't see us being able to effectively inhabit any other planet in any great numbers ever, let alone any time soon, but I do hope we can significantly slow down population expansion and minimise and postpone (if not halt) the onward march of destruction and depletion of the natural wonders and resources of this planet and what we must share; for these things are what naturally sustain all of us at this moment in time and they are finite and precious. We are so dependent on what this planet naturally provides and probably it will always remain this way as long as human beings exist.
I doubt it is possible for humans to live anywhere else in the universe in any meaningful way or in any great numbers. The idea that other planets will become favourable to us and that we can take over those other planets and live there with everything we need for survival before our own planet is destroyed seems highly improbable to me and is fantasy.
8 billion years is a long, long time to wait and for human beings to exist in the expectation that some other planet may become favourable to our living there and ensure our survival before our earth is no more. Life as we know it will have undergone many changes long before then and I believe that by that time we will all have disappeared from this earth anyway. In between now and 8 billion years on (if that is the timespan we are using) as Meg has said, I also think there will be wars over resources when things get short enough and probably these wars, along with famine will be an effective but crude way of reducing the world population, as it always has been.
I don't think it will make much difference what we invent to ward off the inevitable. I think any inventions or discoveries will only be stopgap measures, for what I believe is the inevitable demise of our species - Eventually our time as a species will be up and humans will have gone. I don't think it will matter one bit.

Moving even further into the realms of fantasy, it's just a thought, but if there is an afterlife of some sort and we live on in infinity, can any of us bear to stand by and watch what I believe will inevitably happen. I don't think I can, so I hope there isn't any sort of afterlife.
In today's news Aeroler http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22974301
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Interesting link Alan but I don't like the idea of humans living on other planets at all. Our earth is so beautifully unique and we are "tailor-made" to live here. I don't think we could ever fully adapt to be able to live anywhere else but earth without artificial support and the artificial aspects of trying to do so (having to do so) is a great turn off for me. I believe our energies and endeavours are much better employed here on earth. Humans can readily adapt to a certain amount of change and the important thing is not to destroy our environment thereby hastening our demise.
Briefly reading your link, although the thought is fascinating for many and there would be volunteers, the bit that personally makes me reject the idea, is the bit below in bold. I think we are better to stay here on earth where there is everything to sustain us if we look after it. If the earth ever becomes hostile to our living here we would not be able to simply shuttle back and forth between other planets and earth to replenish supplies anyway.
I believe our extinction is enevitable and will gradually happen in time regardless. Like the dinosaurs and other creatures, our time as a species is finite and will eventually be up. I don't find that upsetting in the least - it seems perfectly natural to me and I can accept it. (Not that either myself or my immediate relatives will be around at the end ). There is nothing on any other planet which would be more attractive to me than what we already have here - certainly not enough to me to make me want to go and try to exist anywhere else. Exploration will continue, I suppose, and that people are doing it is sufficient to satisfy my curiosity. As yet I don't think any other planet has been discovered which would support our life anyway and, I believe, there may never be anywhere else for our species to effectively and independently inhabit.

Taken from the link
Mr Aldrin's vision involves astronauts being trained on the Moon for a life on Mars, and ultimately for new colonists to be brought to the new settlement on a routine basis. He thinks this could be done using "interplanetary cyclers", spacecraft that are permanently moving between Mars and Earth.

But such a plan needs willing volunteers, who must be prepared to travel across space with little prospect of ever returning home. A return journey may in fact become physically impossible after much time spent in the weaker gravity of Mars.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 12:02 PM

I've a lot of sympathy with what you say Aerolor but I believe that man's (and women's) curiosity, drive and resourcefulness will be sufficient to enable us to colonise other celestial bodies. Whether such a life would be enjoyable is another matter.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

23-06-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I've a lot of sympathy with what you say Aerolor but I believe that man's (and women's) curiosity, drive and resourcefulness will be sufficient to enable us to colonise other celestial bodies. Whether such a life would be enjoyable is another matter.
If life would not be fulfilling and enjoyable on another planet (and if a major intent of exploration is to discover advantages for humans that we don't have here) then I would like to understand what the advantage of going to live there permanently would be Alan. Sometimes it is difficult enough living on this earth, which is generally a benign environment; certainly one where many of us can successfully live, develop and reproduce in relative security.

Curiosity, drive and resourcefulness are fine and human beings have these attributes in abundance, but when thinking of space exploration, is there really a tangible goal from which all of us could benefit ? All the effort might easily be wasted if the journey and endeavour is discovered to be unproductive and unyielding, although I suppose just finding that out could be sufficient goal and reward for all the endeavour. Maybe there might be mineral resources we could transport back to earth when our own run short. I don't know if even this would prove to be practical. However, if we eventually find out there is nowhere else to go and nothing very practical we can bring back to use here on earth, we might turn around and discover we have left it too late here - burnt our bridges and wasted too much time and resources which could have been better utilised here on earth.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top