Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 09:32 PM

Re: School teacher abduction case

There is no doubt he did wrong, but to what extent.
Was it just a case of a girl who was infatuated with her young teacher?
Or was it a case of child grooming, personally this is where I am not so sure, their behaviour in court suggests it was the former, lets see what happens when he gets out.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 10:43 PM

Thank god age removes all these deliberations.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 07:23 AM

He's a sex offender, no different than some now aged tv personalities ,whose names have appeared in public even tho' no charges have been laid ( yet?) and imo his crime is a lot worse, is she the first young girl he's been involved with, who knows?, and maybe in another 10 yrs Jeremy will be paying out compo for his unprofessional treatment of this girl
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 07:25 AM

Stuart Hall gets 15 months (he'll be 'out' 7 months) for 'fiddling' little children - one aged only 9 at the time, whereas this teacher gets 5 1/2 years for 'abduction' of a 15 yr old girl who, notwithstanding she was below the age of consent, was, nevertheless old enough to know what she was doing.

It would seem that the Law Commission needs to look at sentencing policy for sexual crimes again to try to reach some uniformity of sentencing.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 07:51 AM

I have read your comments but since then there have been more revelations. She is not the first girl he has had a go at. The last one was 13 years old, well below the age of consent. Luckily she got away
from it all. They have released some of the letters he has written to her and they indicate that grooming was taking place for ages. The suicide threat might not have taken place and was in her evidence in Court and not on her original statement to the Police when she came back from France. He has been talking to her when he was in custody and he was not supposed to. The information she gave in Court equalled what his defence was. Totally changed from what she said beforehand. So just hearing these few things must make you think what a manipulative creep he is. He got 5 and a half years and I think so too. He took her out of the Country and away from her parents no matter what they were like. He should not have done that and the trust a Teacher has with his pupils was broken. Wrinkly in your surmising you seemingly to me are putting all the blame on the girl. She is only 15 and he is 33 Who should know better??
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Sandy if you read my post, I did say he was a sex offender, and I did offer two reasons as to what happened, and I did say it was just a suggestion that it looked the former.
I do think she had a part to play, as someone as said she is old enough to know better.
Having said that, tell me why these revelations wasn't brought before the court so the truth would out, his sentence and guilt were would have been without any doubt.
The first I have heard about a 13 year old other girl is from your posting, it didn't mention that on the news this morning, only to say he had tried to manipulate her to change her story.
Have you a link to the story of the 13 year old being groomed?
At the end of the day, because of her age he is a sex offender, which I have said all through.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Having worked in education for most of my adult life, I am very clear about this. The fact that the girl was a willing partner in (or even initiated) the relationship is irrelevant. As an education professional he knew full well that what he was doing was both wrong morally and totally unprofessional. Many (if not most) young male teachers are faced with such "crushes" (I certainly was as a young youth worker) and you learn quickly the basic rules - never be alone with such a young woman, never say or do anything which may be (mis)interpreted as encouraging her fantasies, never do or say anything which encourages her to believe she is somehow in a "special" relationship with you, and ensure that your manager knows about your concerns.
The Romeo & Juliet defence (it was a real love match and nothing else mattered for the star-crossed lovers) is a cop-out. He knew what he was doing was 100% wrong and, any emotional commitment (whether real or imagined) is irrelevant. He has broken his professional trust and should never be allowed to work with young people again.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

22-06-2013, 09:29 AM

It happens to women teachers too Mick, the dangers of the profession, at the end of the day, the teach has to be extremely careful not to cross the line.
I have a granddaughter who is hoping to go into teaching, I certainly don't envy her.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
We are not just talking about the girl here though are we.
He took advantage of a vunerable young person and abused his position of trust.
He also abducted ( technicaly) her by taking her away from her parents without their consent.
No matter where the girl stands in this, he should have known better and now he is being rightly punished for it.
We can not pick and choose the law that protects our vunerable young people just when it suits us to do so.
Of course we are not just talking about the girl in this Pats - and as I said previously this man should have had the will power and been professional and sensible enough to realise the consequences of what he was doing and not get involved. He did commit a crime and abuse his position of trust as a teacher which renders him unfit to teach ever again. Regarding age of consent, there does have to be a line somewhere - he knew what that line was and crossed it. I don't know what relationship this girl had with her parents, but I thought it a bit odd that the mother said that she (the mother) had her daughter's childhood taken away from her (meaning herself). If I was the mother, I wouldn't be thinking of my loss in this, but rather my daughter and her future welfare.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

22-06-2013, 10:22 AM

When you think back to your school days, mine were different then to what they have today, can't help thinking this wouldn't have gone on in my day.
We had segregation, boys in one school girls in another, this applied to staff too, it does make you think they had it right back then.
I am not sure whether it would be possible these days, perhaps not.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top