Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Animal first aid

Do you think we ought to brush up on first aid for our pets - or do you think we are able to transfer human first aid for simple matters and rely on our vets for anything more serious?

I ask because we had an accident over the weekend! I was making myself boiled eggs for lunch on Saturday. Quite looking forward to it as they were ultra fresh eggs from the Friday market. So, I took great care over the preparation, made my toast soldiers ready and timed it to perfection. Went to take the pan off the heat, just as Dinah came for a scavenge round the bases of the kitchen units (blame her 'mum' for not training that bad habit out of her; I really should ) Stupidly, I had let too much heat get to the pan handle and didn't use a cloth. So, I picked up the pan and put it back down again pdq. The water sloshed, some but by no means all, slopped onto Dinah, who yelped and scuttled to her bed. Feeling sooooooo bad, I soaked a tea towel in cold water and rubbed it on and then left it on the area round her collar/ears, which appeared splashed.
Thank goodness, all was well. She is fine, no blisters, no nothing.
My eggs were hard by the time I returned to them

Can you think of any emergency areas in which you'd treat a pet differently from a human?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Re: Animal first aid

I'm glad Dinah is ok, DM .... these little accidents can happen so easily in the home.

May I use your thread to add a couple of Pet First Aid Sites in case of emergency?

http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?id=81

http://www.petalert.com.au/faid/fa1.php
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Its so easily DM, especially with Staffs, how I have not hurt one of mine that way do not know!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 12:26 AM

I think it's a good idea DM - I have a book with some in, so maybe get one for reference and then it's there if you need it?

Hope Dinah feels better sooN!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 06:38 PM

I went on a course for first aid for dogs and cats, most of it was the same as humans, I will have to refresh my memory as it was a few years ago now!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 07:48 PM

I agree with you moetmum - treat as for humans and get off to vet asap if necessary
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 07:56 PM

I have a dog first aid book.............
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2009, 12:17 PM

I think it is important to know what NOT to use in the way of antiseptics etc. I would always in the first instance use just water or salt and water or hibiscrub.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top