Join for free
Page 2 of 38 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Re: Breast feeding in public

It feels to me that men who object are a throwback to a previous age, when they were the boss and women with children young enough to require breast feeding really shouldn't be out in public. Stay in the house - you'll be safe and won't be criticised.

I'm not sure what I make of women who complain. I guess they are complicit in the wish to return to a patriarchy? Odd.

And of course, like eveything else in public life, one person's plus shouldn't become another's minus. So, discretion but not purdah; freedom but not flouting common courtesy
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
... into a back room where she was on her own .......discreet !
Fair enough. The ones I cannot stand are those who do it while sitting in restaurants, trains, buses, parks etc., in full public view. It is so unnecessary. All it needs is for milk to be expressed and carried in a bottle.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:27 AM

No problems with it but yes, discretion is the key.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:44 AM

We had a discussion on breast feeding fairly recently here...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...breast+feeding
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Fair enough. The ones I cannot stand are those who do it while sitting in restaurants, trains, buses, parks etc., in full public view. It is so unnecessary. All it needs is for milk to be expressed and carried in a bottle.
Agree .........
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Two months ago I was astounded listening to an elderly couple complaining about a young mother breast feeding. She was being discreet that discreet she was just someone in the crowd and it was almost impossible to tell that she was feeding an infant. Pity more mothers do not breast feed, apparently it is healthier for the baby. What astounded me more was when my son agreed, I soon put him right with my thoughts on the matter.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:48 AM

I think to see a woman breastfeeding a baby is a beautiful thing .

I agree it can be done with discretion eg a strategically placed shawl or jumper something both myself with my son and my DIL used with her three little ones .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Debatable.
Your attitude is exactly what's being discussed here, surely?
There are no back rooms in trains, buses, parks etc.
Babies get hungry and cry!
You would rather see a mother with a screaming baby than a mother discreetly feeding a contented baby albeit in a public place?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 09:02 AM

Really comes down to do we want crying screaming babies or content happy ones, for me crying is more a problem in public most babies hit a note that makes me want to join them

Discretion though is the key and TBH I have only seen a few women who were utterly brazen about it and I think they were just trying to make a point.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 09:18 AM

What is wrong with the sight of a female breast in public if it is feeding a baby or not.

The real sad rot is in the eye of the beholder or more specifically the library of pious thinking gathered in their heads over a lifetime.

The younger generation look great top-less on the beach, good for them having cast aside the narrow minded beliefs held by the old.

Page 2 of 38 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top