Join for free
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 11:06 PM

Two Heterosexual Irish Men Marry To Avoid Inheritance Tax

Well .. they're best friends. One is the carer of the other and it's to avoid inheritance tax on the house one intends to leave to the other in his will.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/two-hetero...032143347.html

Not quite sure what I think ..
On the one hand , why not? It's financially beneficial and protects the survivor and will reinforce all their rights as spouse.

On the other .. it's not really in the true spirit of what marriage is supposed to be about but then again then that did go out of the window a bit when same sex marriage was legalised to give legal protection to their rights.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 11:32 PM

Re: Two Heterosexual Irish Men Marry To Avoid Inheritance Tax

Can't see how it's any different to two people of the opposite sex doing the same - their gender is irrelevant.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 11:56 PM

But if we take out sexuality ... or, more specifically, the ceremony associated with declaring a lifelong bond of love, whether it be straights or gays, it does kind of reduce a 'marriage' down to a legal contract solely to protect financial interests.
Ironic really, and they say romance isn't dead ... marriage to protect financial affairs but divorces cost more.

I'm not saying it's wrong, me and Mr M have wondered, even after 30 years of cohabiting, whether to nip off to the Town Hall to get hitched and get a bag of chips with a battered sausage on the way home purely for the same reason.
We never felt the need to marry because of love.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 12:05 AM

To me it is a marriage of convenience, I don't particularly care, but what about marriages to gain residency, it is in the same category.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
But if we take out sexuality...
Sorry I meant to say gender - would it be such a big deal and in the press if a man and woman did the same? Probably not.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Morty, you mentioned a "lifelong bond of love" in a marriage ceremony. I think you will find in a civil ceremony that is not part of the deal. Really it is just a signed legal contract.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 10:27 AM

Perhaps we should look at the tax system that forced them to do this? ,its not too different from the offshore accounts that the rich use to get around paying taxes,..just another way around it
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2017, 11:06 AM

Offshore accounts are regulated those in The channel isle she or the IOM have to report them to HMRC.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Offshore accounts are regulated those in The channel isle she or the IOM have to report them to HMRC.
What about caymen isles ect?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Can't see how it's any different to two people of the opposite sex doing the same - their gender is irrelevant.
You're right there young Man...it's no-ones business but Their Own.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top