Join for free
Page 19 of 22 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Re: Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
For a start they could fund a few charitable enterprises to provide housing and food etc for the worst off, where are the cadburys and bournvilles these days ? where are the people who used to raise their towns up as they got richer ?

I'm always told they work harder than us down here well prove it start businesses and make the country better.
What would incentivise people to fund charitable concerns? What would be their return? The Rowntrees etc came at a time when the wealth of the British Empire was at a peak. It was fantastic that such a movement arose at that time and it forms the basis of our philosophies of the welfare state today. But I don't understand how it can happen today. The balance of power and wealth changed after WWII and it's not possible to change it back the way we are headed.

Most of our businesses are already foreign owned. A lot of foreigners still come here and start small businesses. It's not easy to grow because there are too many big players and government policy doesn't really seem to ever help the smaller ones.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What would incentivise people to fund charitable concerns? What would be their return? The Rowntrees etc came at a time when the wealth of the British Empire was at a peak. It was fantastic that such a movement arose at that time and it forms the basis of our philosophies of the welfare state today. But I don't understand how it can happen today. The balance of power and wealth changed after WWII and it's not possible to change it back the way we are headed.

Most of our businesses are already foreign owned. A lot of foreigners still come here and start small businesses. It's not easy to grow because there are too many big players and government policy doesn't really seem to ever help the smaller ones.
What ever incentivised anyone Annie ? the thanks of people they helped, the boost to their home towns so they didn't have to feel guilty about the poverty around them. Just being plain nice even.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 03:47 PM

What ever incentivised anyone Annie ? the thanks of people they helped, the boost to their home towns so they didn't have to feel guilty about the poverty around them. Just being plain nice even.
Ayn Rand had an interesting take on altruism. She thought greed drove people to make the world a better place whilst altruism reduced it to nothing. It's the whole theme of Atlas Shrugged.

That aside, the British Empire always seems to me the elephant in the room in such economic debates. Before the Empire what was the country worth? How has its demise affected us? Surely that is the clue in where we are now. It also explains the migration and diversity culture.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 04:10 PM

We will soon find out how the Empire will strike back.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ayn Rand had an interesting take on altruism. She thought greed drove people to make the world a better place whilst altruism reduced it to nothing. It's the whole theme of Atlas Shrugged.

That aside, the British Empire always seems to me the elephant in the room in such economic debates. Before the Empire what was the country worth? How has its demise affected us? Surely that is the clue in where we are now. It also explains the migration and diversity culture.
I always think greed drives people to make the world better for themselves so to make it better for themselves they have to make it better for everyone else too. No one wants to step on beggars in their doorways, so to make their lives better will make yours better too.
So greed isn't all bad.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
one option which dyson, for example, has done is to design articles in this country but have them made much more cheaply in the far east.

Profits from his vacuum cleaner sales comes to this country, but he saves a lot of money using cheap labour.

Unfortunately, it doesn't provide jobs for manual workers in this country, but i can't see any way around that and remain competitive.

I think that at the end of the day we need to encourage more young people to think about going into jobs that cannot be farmed out to foreign countries. There are still many manual jobs that still pay well, of course. Plumbing, for example.

a first step is to change all those mickey mouse 'universities' back into polytechnics and technical colleges, which used to train all of those manual skills. We need more of those people.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 05:09 PM

For a start they could fund a few charitable enterprises to provide housing and food etc for the worst off, where are the cadburys and bournvilles these days ? where are the people who used to raise their towns up as they got richer ?

I'm always told they work harder than us down here well prove it start businesses and make the country better.
Good post Julie, a happy worker is a productive worker....

Rowntrees and Titus Salt could also be added to that list..
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 11:11 AM

My first post ...

I think the world has changed a lot since the days of Rowntree and the way they put back into the community. These days it comes in several different ways ...

The first is corporate "philanthropy projects" from the likes of Microsoft, Novartis etc - the huge corporates. Who tend to try and wipe out malaria while forgetting the poor homeless guy living on the roundabout.

The other way is the large corporates like Amazon, Google and Facebook who give their services for free to anyone who is prepared to use them.

One of the reasons (in my view) is that local companies don't necessarily employ local people 100% like they used to.

just my 2 pennies worth
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Someone mentions Dyson and as he has his business near me I will say he has been a great incentive to British manufacturing .
The Dyson factory was and still is a major employer in Wiltshire now mani ly research people .
Before when he made the vacuums here he employed over 500 people in fact was the major employer in this area .
He is a good employer too sending transport ( he hires the local bus company ) to pick up hos workers from the surrounding villages .
It was a great pity and a blow to many that he moved the manufacturing part of his business to Malaysia .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
My first post ...

I think the world has changed a lot since the days of Rowntree and the way they put back into the community. These days it comes in several different ways ...

The first is corporate "philanthropy projects" from the likes of Microsoft, Novartis etc - the huge corporates. Who tend to try and wipe out malaria while forgetting the poor homeless guy living on the roundabout.

The other way is the large corporates like Amazon, Google and Facebook who give their services for free to anyone who is prepared to use them.

One of the reasons (in my view) is that local companies don't necessarily employ local people 100% like they used to.

just my 2 pennies worth
Welcome to the forum Bread.....

Good first post, and yes, the big conglomerates have driven the small family businesses to the wall, and it was these small family businesses that provided employment for local people. I was trained in a small family run engineering works, and carried on to earn a living for 25 years in another family run establishment.

There was hardly a ripple in the universe when both places were bought out by large global companies and were closed down. All the work that I did is now done abroad in some factory larger than a small African state. This is what a vote to stay in the EU will mean but on a much larger scale.....

But when such goliaths of industry fail the world will shudder as it did with the demise of Carillion and it looks like 'Interserve' is going the same way....

Page 19 of 22 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top