Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Your relationship with your children

I think I am so very fortunate that I have an excellent relationship with my children and grandchildren as does my husband. Obviously it has its serious side, but we can laugh and joke and tease each other, which is great.

It is so sad so many people seem to be at odds with their children, some have even lost contact with them.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Re: Your relationship with your children

Happily, Tara, my husband and I find ourselves in a similar position to you and I think I can put it down to having mutual respect for each other.

My husband had one brother and one sister. His mum, a lovely gentle woman, made no secret of the fact that she wanted her daughter to have a husband who would look after her every need whilst she hoped her sons would marry women who would do likewise for her boys.

She may not have got exactly what she wanted but accepted everyone for what they had to offer to the family unit.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Happily, Tara, my husband and I find ourselves in a similar position to you and I think I can put it down to having mutual respect for each other.

My husband had one brother and one sister. His mum, a lovely gentle woman, made no secret of the fact that she wanted her daughter to have a husband who would look after her every need whilst she hoped her sons would marry women who would do likewise for her boys.

She may not have got exactly what she wanted but accepted everyone for what they had to offer to the family unit.
My husband and I didn't get on with his parents at all, we were determined to ensure we didn't behave in a way that would make our children hate us. As youngsters we always listened to our children's opinions, and whilst we had the last word when it came to important issues, we took their opinions into account.

For instance, when we decided to adopt a couple of lads with special educational needs, we ask for their opinions, and would have thought twice if they hadn't been keen. However, after it was all explained to them in a way they could grasp the concept, they were all for it and we went ahead.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 06:03 PM

I have always had a very close relationship with my son I guess because I was widowed young (he was 6) and brought him up on my own so it was just the two of us .
He did very well building a business from scratch in his bedroom and now lives in a beautiful farmhouse with his wife and 5 children.

I guess all grandparents are proud of their grandchildren, I am very proud of mine and couldn't wish for better, they are a joy to be with .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

31-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have always had a very close relationship with my son I guess because I was widowed young (he was 6) and brought him up on my own so it was just the two of us .
He did very well building a business from scratch in his bedroom and now lives in a beautiful farmhouse with his wife and 5 children.

I guess all grandparents are proud of their grandchildren, I am very proud of mine and couldn't wish for better, they are a joy to be with .
My husband's parents had no interest in our children, whilst they doted on those of his much older brother, who could do no wrong in their eyes. They never forgave my husband for being a boy, when they desperately wanted a girl to look after them in their old age!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 06:29 PM

I've always had a great relationship with both my son and daughter and I've noticed as the years roll by they are even more caring to both my husband and I. I didn't have that relationship with my own parents and in those days I vowed that I would bring up my children differently. I think I've succeeded.

My grandchildren have been a blessing, we are very close to them and watched then grow up to be lovely teenagers.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Yeh but my grandkids are better than your grandkids so there

But well done you.
Purple lizard
Somerset
Purple lizard is female 

31-08-2019, 09:00 PM

My daughter is only 14 but we have a very close relationship. Much closer than I ever was with my own mother who I haven't seen for many years. ��
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 09:48 PM

WE have a very close knit family ,I am glad to say .
smile
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 11:33 PM

Relationship with my kids?

Well I'm fairly sure that I'm their father!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top