Join for free
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 06:46 AM

Things are not always as they seem …

On looking at this picture of a female with her dog initially I thought "what a happy looking young lady with her pet dog", then I read her story, which is very different:

Lyme disease: 'People say I don't look ill'

"Yen Lau caught Lyme disease from an infected tick bite during a camping trip to Loch Lomond almost four years ago.

She says she is living with an "invisible disease" that today still causes her days-long bouts of sickness, migraines, dizziness and chronic fatigue.

Lyme disease is an infection that can be spread to humans by ticks carrying the Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-57693815
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

04-07-2021, 07:33 AM

Re: Things are not always as they seem …

Ticks are very common here in Sweden and as well as Lyme disease they can cause TBE - Tick-borne encephalitis.

We're vaccinated against TBE. Four jabs, the first two within a month of each other, the third after one year and the fourth after three years. The vaccination isn't covered by our National Health but we thought it was worth the 40 pounds per jab cost.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Ticks are very common here in Sweden and as well as Lyme disease they can cause TBE - Tick-borne encephalitis.

We're vaccinated against TBE. Four jabs, the first two within a month of each other, the third after one year and the fourth after three years. The vaccination isn't covered by our National Health but we thought it was worth the 40 pounds per jab cost.
I hadn't heard of TBE before Ulla. It sounds horrendous, and I don't blame you at all for getting yourselves vaccinated against it. Definitely worth the money.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
On looking at this picture of a female with her dog initially I thought "what a happy looking young lady with her pet dog", then I read her story, which is very different:
Gosh, that poor woman, you would never realise to look at her how much she suffers .

I discovered a tick on my leg many years ago, while in the bath. We'd been to Dartmoor that day, so clearly that's where I'd picked it up - lots of sheep there!

I'd never heard of them and had no ideas of the dangers. I found it behind my knee, and just pulled at it. Thankfully it all came out, no legs left behind, and it started swimming around in the bathwater . Yikes, didn't I jump out quickly, screaming!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 08:17 AM

I read that woman's story too and know very little about Lyme disease. I know someone (vaguely) who has it and it isn't pleasant. at all from what I can gather. I check the dog for ticks after we have been out, but that's it. I really need to be more aware.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 01:12 PM

We have ticks in our Garden. and have a tick tool remover as without one you can easily leave part of the tick inside.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 02:20 PM

Yes Dianne, that's the tool we have...it came in a set of 3, all different sizes. Only had to use it twice thankfully, so fingers crossed!
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

04-07-2021, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I discovered a tick on my leg many years ago, while in the bath. We'd been to Dartmoor that day, so clearly that's where I'd picked it up - lots of sheep there!

I'd never heard of them and had no ideas of the dangers. I found it behind my knee, and just pulled at it. Thankfully it all came out, no legs left behind
Sheba, being near sheep isn’t the only way to pick up a tick. They can be found in long grass and just brushing past with bare legs is enough for them to latch on.

When you remove them you have to make sure you get the head out because that’s the part you have to worry about for causing infection not the legs.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top