Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 12:48 AM

Re: This years Flu Jabs

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
When everyone gets used to having to use a 'Vaccine certificate' to access travel and entry into theatre, concerts, restaurants, cinemas and sporting venues, it will become a chargeable item.
I doubt that this will go on long enough for that OGF. Plus people will stick two fingers up to restaurants, concert halls and cinemas so there's an economic trade off in charging for such things.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 12:52 AM

Just looking at the list again, it's likely that the supermarkets are offsetting the fact that you are going to do a big shop when you go in for your jab. So they are slicing the profits off that into the reduced cost. Hope that makes sense! It's like a loss leader. you think you are getting a good deal but you end up spending more on stuff you didn't realise you didn't need. So technically the pharmacies are better value for money.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Flu jabs are free here for 65+ and risk groups. Katarina and I qualify as we're risk group. For everyone else there's a flat rate equivalent to 15 pounds
I usually get my flu jab from my doctor where it is free (got it in early May) but some years I can't be bothered to make an appointment and just call in to the Chemist and pay for a shot there. It costs about $20 (10 pounds)

If there is a good side to this pandemic it is the lack of flu deaths.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flu Deaths.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	16198  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Just looking at the list again, it's likely that the supermarkets are offsetting the fact that you are going to do a big shop when you go in for your jab. So they are slicing the profits off that into the reduced cost. Hope that makes sense! It's like a loss leader. you think you are getting a good deal but you end up spending more on stuff you didn't realise you didn't need. So technically the pharmacies are better value for money.

Although I can see what you mean Annie, I don't know if it's right? Maybe the supermarkets can buy in bulk for a better price too, I don't know.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-07-2021, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Although I can see what you mean Annie, I don't know if it's right? Maybe the supermarkets can buy in bulk for a better price too, I don't know.
I'm not an expert in pharmacy concessions but if it's anything like old fashioned rental commissions the in store pharmacy will be paying part of their profit to the supermarket. It's possible that the supermarket has some say in the cost base of vaccines a result. It's a bit like the way they manage to negotiate such low prices for milk and other foods. They know that people will come to the shop if they have low prices on the foods/products that attract people to shop there. It's easier if they collaborate and spread the risk.

All the big pharmacy chains can buy in bulk and get discounts. But they are not in partnership with a bigger organisation so their risk is greater. Their product range is pretty narrow. Their insurance base will be more expensive, so many factors can affect the cost and prices we see.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top