Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 06:07 PM

Asthma

I have asthma - think I've already mentioned this - but just lately I've encountered a new twist.

I have a preventer inhaler (Seratide) plus my Ventolin, which I use as prescribed but just lately I have noticed a change; I work at a care home and I can be outside or inside, depending on the workload.

When I'm outside I'm fine - I don't need to use my Ventolin any more than "normal" if you can say such a thing.

This all changes when I'm "confined" to working indoors.

I find I'm out of breath quite often and although I've asked if there's been any changes the could affect me, I'm told there hasn't been, yet within minutes, I'm struggling and having to revert to my Ventolin far more often if I'm working inside.

This can sometimes result in dizziness so I've told my Doctor and I have the earliest consultation appointment that I can get - 29th March.

My employers don't appear to be overly concerned and I suspect that they are actually ignoring my complaints but yesterday I walked into a wall because I totally lost my balance.

As there were no Management around to report this too I had to let this go but I'm worried because they changed suppliers of chemicals and I feel a bit wary of an newer air freshener they are using because I'm finding it makes me feel quite light-headed!

Has anyone else had any experience with work-place chemical changes? stevmk2
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Re: Asthma

Are they carrying out any decorating or construction work within the home ? I have found that some products containing solvents like rubber based adhesives give me grief.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Have they had any new carpeting laid inside the home recently stevmk2?

Fibres can cause a reaction as can some of those 'electric/plug-in' air fresheners.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 06:46 PM

I'm struggling and having to revert to my Ventolin far more often if I'm working inside.
Hi Steve I too take Seratide as a 'prevention' and I have Ventolin but won't use it unless I absolutely have too because it has really unpleasant side effects for me, it causes me to shake uncontrollably.

There are so many things which can cause a reaction to those with sensitive airways.
I think you work in a care home? One thing I can't tolerate is those scented air things that are often used in care homes.
Another thing to bear in mind is that you can suddenly develop an intolerance to substances which haven't bothered you before. For me it is any form of smoke,some polishes and scraping new potatoes.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Sorry to hear you are having trouble Steve.
Apart from the things people have stated already I just wondered
if this extra allergic reaction has happened in Winter months.
I should imagine they have the heating on full blast and I personally
don't have asthma but I cant stand over heated rooms. I go
hot just thinking of it as I am warm enough. Just wondered if
the heat, enclosed with no windows open were causing it.
Plus if they are putting smellies around the place its all enclosed
into those rooms
Hopefully the effects of whatever it is will ease when the Spring
comes and they start opening the windows etc.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Thanks for your input folks.

Where I work it is rather warm all the time indoors but it is also rather dusty too.

Many of our residents are bed-bound most of the time and this impinges on the cleaning regime substantially so dust could be a factor for me but I have noticed a new pump spray "freshener" that seems to be used everywhere.

There's been no carpet laid for some time and I've been roped into doing decorating but it's emulsions we use, not oil-based paints as I'd absolutely refuse with those because I do get bad reactions from gloss paints!

I've checked the COSHH data on the freshener and it does say it could be an irritant to some so I think it may be a combination of the over-heated environment, (average temp = 29C!), this new spray and a possible allergic reaction that I've not really noticed before.

On those rare occasions that I do get at the moment to get on in the garden I'm fine, even in biting cold weather but within minutes of going indoors I'm coughing and gasping!

At home, by Saturday I seem fine again so I definitely think it's work as I work Monday to Thursday only and I'm often still coughing most of Friday!

One thing I tried yesterday is antihistamines, which I normally have to use when pollen's high and I did feel quite a lot better but I need to ask my Doctor next Saturday because at times the coughing is leaving me so short of breath that I get dizzy spells. stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
One thing I tried yesterday is antihistamines, which I normally have to use when pollen's high and I did feel quite a lot better but I need to ask my Doctor next Saturday because at times the coughing is leaving me so short of breath that I get dizzy spells. stevmk2
I assume that you have been prescribed the antihistamines stevmk2?...because you do need to be careful taking those if you have other conditions.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antihis...an-use-it.aspx
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Thanks for your input folks.

Where I work it is rather warm all the time indoors but it is also rather dusty too.

Many of our residents are bed-bound most of the time and this impinges on the cleaning regime substantially so dust could be a factor for me but I have noticed a new pump spray "freshener" that seems to be used everywhere.

There's been no carpet laid for some time and I've been roped into doing decorating but it's emulsions we use, not oil-based paints as I'd absolutely refuse with those because I do get bad reactions from gloss paints!

I've checked the COSHH data on the freshener and it does say it could be an irritant to some so I think it may be a combination of the over-heated environment, (average temp = 29C!), this new spray and a possible allergic reaction that I've not really noticed before.

On those rare occasions that I do get at the moment to get on in the garden I'm fine, even in biting cold weather but within minutes of going indoors I'm coughing and gasping!

At home, by Saturday I seem fine again so I definitely think it's work as I work Monday to Thursday only and I'm often still coughing most of Friday!

Steve matey, the constant changes in temperature from going in and out can also cause you to 'cough & wheeze'.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

23-03-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I assume that you have been prescribed the antihistamines stevmk2?...because you do need to be careful taking those if you have other conditions.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antihis...an-use-it.aspx
I'm not prescribed them Pats but Doctor said OK.

Look through this: -
"The role of antihistamines in asthma management.
Wilson AM.

Abstract
Histamine is an important mediator in airway inflammation. It is elevated in the airways of asthmatic patients and is responsible for many of the pathophysiological features in asthma. Antihistamines block the actions of histamine and also have effects on inflammation which is independent of histamine-H(1)-receptor antagonism. Antihistamines have been shown to have bronchodilatory effects, effects on allergen-, exercise-, and adenosine-monophosphate-challenge testing, and also to prevent allergen-induced nonspecific airways hyperresponsiveness. Clinical studies have shown mixed results, and some studies have reported beneficial effects of azelastine, cetirizine, desloratadine, and fexofenadine on asthma symptoms or physiological measures in patients with asthma. The combination of an antihistamine and a leukotriene receptor antagonist has been shown to have additive effects in certain studies. Antihistamines have also been shown to delay or prevent the development of asthma in a subgroup of atopic children. These data suggest that antihistamines may have beneficial effects in the management of asthma
"
stevmk2
Pats
Lincolnshire

23-03-2014, 12:36 PM

I'm not prescribed them Pats but Doctor said OK. stevmk2
That's good then, your doctor knows your full medical history, I don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top