Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Itzliz
United kingdom...
Itzliz is female 

19-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Re: Accepting old age?

I never think about the age..only the fact that i cannot do what i did 10 years ago...Well so be it....worse things in life i could moan about....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 01:21 PM

A couple of years ago when I got my bus pass (It's called an entitlement card here), my daughter said I shouldn't use the bus as "It would be full of old people".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Reading that George reminded me of my late father, I always had a sneaky suspicion that he was a bit vain, he never looked his age I will admit, he put it down to all the years he spent in hospital with TB in the 50's, "It's because I was wrapped in cotton wool before they let me out" he used to say. I remember when he retired first, he would not go to the local post office to collect his pension, he would walk several miles to the next one every week, "I don't want all the neighbours to think I'm an old age pensioner" he hated growing old and told me so, he remained a snappy dresser and a charmer to the end, walked as straight as a ruler, he lived to be 94, he was a great drinking buddy of mine and I miss him greatly.

Was it Joan Crawford who used to say to her daughter "Don't call me Mommy outside the house dear"
Itzliz
United kingdom...
Itzliz is female 

19-05-2014, 05:00 PM

Grumblewagon i should have relied to your Daughter, one days witha a bit a luck she's gonna be an old girl lol....
Use it or loose it Grumblewagon.....rofl
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 07:30 PM

For the most part, I think women have a harder time getting older. Society has put a pretty heavy burden on us. Youth, and physical appearance is valued more highly in women than in men. We loose our "marketability" sooner than men do. Men become distinguished... women just get OLD. It's hard to look in the mirror and see a matron where a young woman once stood. THEN... something happens.. at least it did with me. It happened when I got into my 60's . I began to realize that I had so much more in substance. I had more confidence... and I cared less and less what others thought. I stopped fighting the gray and the wrinkles.. and even the few extra pounds, and began to enjoy life for what it was. I think it's harder to suffer fools as you get older. And it certainly feels good to be comfortable in your own skin.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 09:30 PM

My motto is "Don't grow old, grow splendid!" join us Steampunks & have fun!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
For the most part, I think women have a harder time getting older. Society has put a pretty heavy burden on us. Youth, and physical appearance is valued more highly in women than in men. We loose our "marketability" sooner than men do. Men become distinguished... women just get OLD. It's hard to look in the mirror and see a matron where a young woman once stood. THEN... something happens.. at least it did with me. It happened when I got into my 60's . I began to realize that I had so much more in substance. I had more confidence... and I cared less and less what others thought. I stopped fighting the gray and the wrinkles.. and even the few extra pounds, and began to enjoy life for what it was. I think it's harder to suffer fools as you get older. And it certainly feels good to be comfortable in your own skin.

You have some very uplifting things there Audrey, and I agree with you.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
very poignant words Audrey..........I don't think anyone could have put it more eloquently...........H
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2014, 07:34 AM

The worst thing about ageing is losing the ability to bullshit yourself.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The worst thing about ageing is losing the ability to bullshit yourself.
yes Spitfire, but if you take the "Bull" out, that has a tendency to happen as you get older "so I hear"........

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top