Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 11:39 PM

Re: Boris and Covid.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It is easy to criticize when you have hindsight, but I wonder if anybody could have handled this situation any better than Boris!
I was saying this at the time and there was a whole twitter storm at the time that they were not locking down the country when they should. I've been posting here for a couple of months now about the need to wear masks and yet it's taken the WHO three months to find the "science" to say that mask prevent infection spreading from the infected. Something we have known for centuries. Plus the public health message for flu has been "catch it kill it" meaning you cover your face when you sneeze. How hard can it be to send the same message as other countries were sending from the start? Countries that have far fewer mortalities. It's the "we know better" nonsense that rankles with me because we knew better and then we did what everyone else was doing anyway. Just a few weeks later. It's like some sort of conceited disregard for common sense.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
With the whole world in the same boat you'd think they could all talk to each other and come to some arrangement about debts?
That is the main problem, all countries want to show that they dealt with this better than others. If they learned that working together would be best for all they may learn that a united front is the best way for all humanity & other life forms on earth..... but it will never happen

I was saying this at the time and there was a whole twitter storm at the time that they were not locking down the country when they should. I've been posting here for a couple of months now about the need to wear masks and yet it's taken the WHO three months to find the "science" to say that mask prevent infection spreading from the infected. Something we have known for centuries. Plus the public health message for flu has been "catch it kill it" meaning you cover your face when you sneeze. How hard can it be to send the same message as other countries were sending from the start? Countries that have far fewer mortalities. It's the "we know better" nonsense that rankles with me because we knew better and then we did what everyone else was doing anyway. Just a few weeks later. It's like some sort of conceited disregard for common sense.
We all had a choice about wearing face covering & people in hospitals were wearing them! I have to ask why can't people think for themselves? Do we really need the head of the country to tell us what to do, and how many would have listened if he did?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 11:37 AM

That is the main problem, all countries want to show that they dealt with this better than others. If they learned that working together would be best for all they may learn that a united front is the best way for all humanity & other life forms on earth..... but it will never happen

2nd paragraph
We all had a choice about wearing face covering & people in hospitals were wearing them! I have to ask why can't people think for themselves? Do we really need the head of the country to tell us what to do, and how many would have listened if he did?
Where I totally agree with your second paragraph Twink; People should take responsibility for their own health and not wait until the government tell them what to do. It's not like we don't have these viruses circulating every year (although this one is particularly cruel to the older generation) and we should be taking precautions every year to prevent an infection; Any flu will kill you if your immune system is compromised. So don't go spluttering and blaming Boris if you didn't take the appropriate precautions to protect yourself.....

Different countries present different problems/solutions, so in my opinion it is silly to make comparisons when we don't know the whole story why the virus seems more prevalent in some countries than others; Climate, economics, healthcare, and a thousand other reasons that even the scientists don't fully understand. We should only look back in order to better prepare in the future and not apportion blame, it is what it is.....

We already tried working together with other countries in the EU, and there is always someone wants to get rich or gain power from it. Most of the the information received in statistics from other countries is wildly inaccurate (even our own stats are dubious at best) and not to be trusted, no matter how much microsoft reckon their teams and technology can help. They are a business and their main aim is to make money.....Beware Greeks bearing gifts....Which is one of the reasons why I won't be having a vaccine from big pharma.....Bugger you lot! My health is my responsibility....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 11:46 AM

With the whole world in the same boat you'd think they could all talk to each other and come to some arrangement about debts?

You mean like cut a big slice of humble pie and return to the EU with cap in hand and beg forgiveness Annie......Not in my bloody lifetime!......
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You mean like cut a big slice of humble pie and return to the EU with cap in hand and beg forgiveness Annie......Not in my bloody lifetime!......
I didn't mean that at all. There was financial cooperation across countries years before the EU. Bretton Woods comes to mind.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-06-2020, 12:17 PM

One thing has been clear - there are many people who do not act unless there is an official directive telling them to take precautions. There are quite a few people out there who do not believe there is even a virus circulating. Then there are some tearing down 5G masts. But when the lockdown was announced everyone stayed at home.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Where I totally agree with your second paragraph Twink; People should take responsibility for their own health and not wait until the government tell them what to do. It's not like we don't have these viruses circulating every year (although this one is particularly cruel to the older generation) and we should be taking precautions every year to prevent an infection; Any flu will kill you if your immune system is compromised. So don't go spluttering and blaming Boris if you didn't take the appropriate precautions to protect yourself.....

Different countries present different problems/solutions, so in my opinion it is silly to make comparisons when we don't know the whole story why the virus seems more prevalent in some countries than others; Climate, economics, healthcare, and a thousand other reasons that even the scientists don't fully understand. We should only look back in order to better prepare in the future and not apportion blame, it is what it is.....

We already tried working together with other countries in the EU, and there is always someone wants to get rich or gain power from it. Most of the the information received in statistics from other countries is wildly inaccurate (even our own stats are dubious at best) and not to be trusted, no matter how much microsoft reckon their teams and technology can help. They are a business and their main aim is to make money.....Beware Greeks bearing gifts....Which is one of the reasons why I won't be having a vaccine from big pharma.....Bugger you lot! My health is my responsibility....

Great post OGF!
Exactly that!

Donkeyman! 😷😷
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-06-2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Great post OGF!
Exactly that!

Donkeyman! 😷😷
Cheers Donkeyman....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 08:36 PM

Hi

It is irrespective of wether one likes Boris or not.

He is being criticised by his own Senior Party Members and the Traditional Tory Press.

The Daily Mail and Telegraph in particular.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-Britain.html

However we look at it, the system has failed.

We are one of the worst affected, both in terms of deaths and the financial damage.

It is about responsibility.

The famous American President with the sign on his desk.

The Buck Stops Here.

It is not just Boris, it is the Civil Service as well.

It is the Ministers he has appointed.

If you are the Boss you take responsibility.

Boris claimed that by the beginning of this month we would have a World Beating Track and Trace System.

This is crucial to getting the Economy back to work.

We do not have one, it doesn't work.

It will not work in blocks of flats, which we have many in Inner City Areas where covid is still an issue.

We could have got one off the shelf which does work in flats.

Unless and until we complain big time we will continue to have a very expensive, poor system which we do not deserve.

We deserve better, not just Sound Bites.

We have some highly intelligent Tory Politicians who could have done much better

They do not have the charisma Boris has, but are much more effective.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

We have some highly intelligent Tory Politicians who could have done much better

They do not have the charisma Boris has, but are much more effective.
Swim I don't think Boris has charisma, in fact he often appears as a buffoon,but people like him because he said he would get us out of the EU.....and he is doing that.

Dealing with this pandemic is difficult though and it doesn't need intelligent politicians ( because they have no experience of one like this), it needs a leader who is trying to do his best for the whole country!
Nobody could have got everything right and, when people continually criticize what they are doing, it is usually because that person doesn't like the effects it is having on themselves & their family.
If Britain wants to get through this difficult time, I believe we should stop criticizing the leader & the whole nation should support him. We should all be pulling in the same direction, instead of trying to find somebody to blame, because none of us have ever experienced circumstances like this before & a united front will mean we can help each other to get through it.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top