Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 05:23 PM

Eradicating smell in a new shoulder bag

I bought a shoulder bag off a market stall this morning. When I took it out of the plastic wrapping and opened it, I was overcome by the awful smell coming from the inner lining. It can ony be described as fishy!!!!

I tried squirting a bit of Lily of the Valley freshener, but the bag still overpowers the perfume.

Does anyone have any ideas please? Should I buy some bicarb and sprinkle it in?

Thanks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Re: Eradicating smell in a new shoulder bag

Yes try the bicarb - till then leave it open - let it get an airing ......
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

No ideas on how to help other than to sympathise. I bought a bag that was similar, was quite bad so I hung it in the garage for a week, fresh air etc, I threw it away as it didn't improve..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Bicarb as Patsy said leave it in the bag for at least 24 hours.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 05:36 PM

I once had the same thing happen to me. On an Emirate flight I had a Thai fish curry as the main course and for some reason put the serviette I'd wiped my hands on in my bag which made the lining stink to high heaven. Luckily the lining was loose and I was able to pull most of it out and wash it in detergent and warm water, dried it with a towel then hung it out to air. It did the trick!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 05:59 PM

Janet can you turn the bag inside out if you can and hang it outside if possible the smell should improve.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 07:06 PM

If all else fails, take it back to the market. It can't be right that something stinks of fish
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 10:22 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I did a bit of research. Apparently it's more common that we thought. The consensus of opinion is that fish oil may have been used in the process of making the bag, either in the glue or the material.

So many people have said they've ended up throwing out the offensive item. Other suggestions have been yes, airing it, putting in bounce conditioner sheets, mothballs, cat litter, ground coffee (all these in pots placed in the bag to absorb the smell).

I won't be needing it for a while now so will think of something.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 10:55 PM

It's not expected to rain for a few days Jazzi so early tomorrow would be your best bet if you wanted to hang it out as suggested, no harm in leaving it out in fresh weather like this, nothing as bad as a fishy smell on anything.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

02-12-2014, 11:20 PM

Problem is, where do I hang it? Leave it outside my flat it'll get nicked!

I could maybe loop the handle inside to somewhere and hang it out of my bedroom window. And get half the contents of the garden crawling inside.

ETA.

The gap between my French door and the jamb is blowing a lovely cold draught, so I've turned the bag inside out, and hung it on the handle so it's right by the fresh air. Maybe that'll do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top