Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 05:46 PM

Re: Cleaning a vitreous enamel bath

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
It sure is - I may go back to trying that !
That reminds me does anyone remember linco beer shampoo came in a little plastic barrel, my Nan swore by it but I haven't seen it for years.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That reminds me does anyone remember linco beer shampoo came in a little plastic barrel, my Nan swore by it but I haven't seen it for years.
Yes i use to get that ,and my cousin use to buy a bootle of beer to rinse her hair in .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Yes i use to get that ,and my cousin use to buy a bootle of beer to rinse her hair in .
Did she wash it out Eliza ?
I used to use the linco beer shampoo - it was nice - will take a look to see if still available
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just had a look - it was discontinued in 2011 - there is a campaign to bring it back but, Superdrug have cottoned on and now have their own beer shampoo - will give that a go ..........
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Did she wash it out Eliza ?
I used to use the linco beer shampoo - it was nice - will take a look to see if still available
Yes i think it would have been rinsed off ,it gave a shine to her hair .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 02:27 PM

I would have spread a dog food paste all over the inside then put our Teazle in it. best self cleaning agent I know of.

littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

12-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Since I posted this cleaning process, I have cleaned a second bath with equally impressive results.
I decided to look into the chemistry of this process to try to understand what is actually happening. When the 5% hydrogen peroxide solution reacts with the bicarbonate of soda there is a very tiny amount of carbon dioxide released. Much less than you would get from pouring a pint of beer.Unless you look very closely you will miss it.
After the reaction you are left with a very weak solution of sodium hydroxide and water.
Obviously this is what cleans the bath because sodium hydroxide is an alkaline.
Chemical reaction if you are interested is

H2O2 + 2CHNaO3 = 2NaOH + CO2 + H2O
hydrogen peroxide + bicarbonate of soda = sodium hydroxide + carbon dioxide + water

It's a good idea to ware gloves when cleaning the bath because this cleaning agent is a very weak alkaline and might make you hands feel slippery as alkalines do.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

12-01-2015, 02:59 PM

What a rascal you are !
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
Chemical reaction if you are interested is

H2O2 + 2CHNaO3 = 2NaOH + CO2 + H2O
hydrogen peroxide + bicarbonate of soda = sodium hydroxide + carbon dioxide + water
I'm shocked, lb. My chemistry in post 11 was correct...whens the lottery?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2015, 05:37 PM

never had chemistry at school, think the teachers were afraid we might blow the place up

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top