Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Re: What makes a bigger impression?

It would be lovely to be able to househunt, but it would be the area for me. Don't care about the decor. I must admit I don't like to see unkempt gardens. Such a waste when some people have never had the chance to have a garden.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 03:06 AM

Hard for me to say I have lived in the same house for 35 years but I bought it because of its location. I had intended to knock it down but got used to it. The other properties I have purchased have been rental properties so again location was important however condition was too because I wanted them to bring in income as soon as possible.

Didn't care about the garden as long as it was a standard sized qtr acre block ie about 615 sq mtr. As others point out the garden is the easiest to change.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 08:52 AM

I'd have a look at the neighbours' properties. lf they're neat and tidy, then it's probably a nce area. If their gardens are untidy and/or the exterior decor is bad, then I'd move on.

When we bought this house, the garden was waist high with weeds and grass, and although the interior had been newly (and very badly) , we gutted the house & re decorated before moving in.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 10:48 AM

I think I can beat that, GW! When I bought this place it had been abandonned for 6 years. When I started clearing the garden I discovered a 6 foot lamppost that I hadn't even known was there! The brambles concealed a lot of stuff. I've spent several years clearing the jungle, but still have a way to go. And when I first viewed it there were burst pipes so it was raining down inside. It has been worth the blood, sweat and tears though!
So to me, first impressions are not really much influenced by anything other than location and structure, but I'm just wondering if others might be put off by these things.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I think I can beat that, GW! When I bought this place it had been abandonned for 6 years. When I started clearing the garden I discovered a 6 foot lamppost that I hadn't even known was there! The brambles concealed a lot of stuff. I've spent several years clearing the jungle, but still have a way to go. And when I first viewed it there were burst pipes so it was raining down inside. It has been worth the blood, sweat and tears though!
So to me, first impressions are not really much influenced by anything other than location and structure, but I'm just wondering if others might be put off by these things.

......and I bet you end up having it looking lovely!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
......and I bet you end up having it looking lovely!
You have more faith in me than I do! The inside is now almost done in terms of decorating and tiling etc to my taste, but the garden has a way to go yet!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Ooer. I was cut off in me prime above.

I would first note the location, then general appearance of the external property, (and any neighbouring one), then look inside.
I also think different people look for different things in house buying, Ania. It depends whether someone enjoys a 'project' to work on, or whether they are looking for a place ready to move straight in.

At my age now, I would need different qualities than I did when I was a lot younger.
Once upon a time, I would have been happy with a static home in the middle of a field, but it wouldn't be such a good idea to be quite so remote now.
I still would be more content with village life more than town life, and I need a bit 'greenery' around me too. I'd never buy if every window looked out onto rooftops and brick walls, no matter how nice a place was.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 11:35 PM

Same here Mups, privacy is paramount, I will post a photo when the Patio is finished.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 05:23 PM

I know they shouldn´t be on here, but any of today´s young first-time buyers would be amazed at this thread - just to be able to buy anything anywhere would be bliss for them never mind the ¨decor¨ or garden. We truly are a lucky generation to be able to quibble over such niceties.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Having just moved recently what influenced us more was apart from style of house
1 = price
2= location
3= house size
4= internal layout
5= garage
6= garden size
7= not forgetting number of bedrooms

Here again it depends on how much one is prepared to spend getting it as one wants.

We knew it wanted a new boiler- bit of work on radiators and decorating What we did not expect is spending out on getting widows working properly and door locks and catches repaired. Also a complete new main bathroom.

Having seen the house on the internet I straight away knew that was the house I wanted and so did my wife. Yes it was a bit over our budget of what we really wanted to spend, but it was a case of yes or no on the spot as several other people were interested as well.

Ok so we looked at several other houses as well beforehand but there was always something that did not quite "click" with us for on reason or another.

Who could not fall in love with this. So we paid cash and already having sold our business and previous property

You tend to get a feeling about a house and if you are going to be happy in it or not

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top