Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:40 AM

Today's fun task !

I am replacing a door today - deep joy!

I had one one of those concertina doors installed across my hall way some years ago - extra security for the cats as it meant I could come in with shopping/friends etc., without the cats rushing out through the front door. Anyway, over time, the plastic runners that work it have become brittle and broken off. Just bought a new one - that has arrived with no instructions what so ever - and, as it is not the same make, I cannot just take one down and put the other straight up as the sizes are different! This one has nylon runners - so should last a little bit longer.

Right - screwdriver, WD40, hammer, pickaxe ... here we go!

Just telling you all so that - if anyone reports a large cloud of green steam hovering over Yorkshire - you will know why!!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Re: Today's fun task !

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am replacing a door today - deep joy!

I had one one of those concertina doors installed across my hall way some years ago - extra security for the cats as it meant I could come in with shopping/friends etc., without the cats rushing out through the front door. Anyway, over time, the plastic runners that work it have become brittle and broken off. Just bought a new one - that has arrived with no instructions what so ever - and, as it is not the same make, I cannot just take one down and put the other straight up as the sizes are different! This one has nylon runners - so should last a little bit longer.

Right - screwdriver, WD40, hammer, pickaxe ... here we go!

Just telling you all so that - if anyone reports a large cloud of green steam hovering over Yorkshire - you will know why!!
Hi Silver Tabby, what about finding the instructions for your new door on-line. There's normally instruction for everything!
Try it...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:57 AM

Good luck ST I find when I start one job I make 10 others
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Sounds like fun, ST! Photo when it's done?
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 11:11 AM

Good luck ST
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 01:25 PM

Please let us know how you get on, pics would be nice. ?

Everybody get your list in quick as ST will be round soon to sort out your domestic dilemmas. Full Central heating refurbishment please, i got in first
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Fitting a folding door is usually an open and shut case.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:10 PM

I hope all goes well, Silver Tabby, I fitted one in our last house and it wasn't too difficult to trim it down but I was getting a bit fed up towards the end. Lasted us 10 years and it was still in fine fettle when we sold the property.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 08:26 AM

Well - round one accomplished!

The old door was put up by a craftsman and obviously objected to my amateur ministrations as it fought back - vigorously. It's screws and fixings were all concealed - which doesn't help when one is trying to remove them. It was quite a wrestling match - and I am still not sure who won - but the old door is now lying in heap on the driveway ready to be recycled, I have cut fingers and my back hurts. The new door does not have the glass panels so is neither so heavy nor as substantial as the old one and it wriggles about like a puppy when moved. Think I may need to conscript a volunteer to help !
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2015, 08:30 AM

You've done well even attempting it yourself ST. Pat on the back to you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top