Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Re: Electricals

Maybe he means 10.30 tonight?! I'm waiting with bated breath.

I had a light bulb go recently and it tripped the electrics.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 09:20 PM

I would think that the trip responsible would be marked up 'Ring Main' Mups, so it was probably the iron. The old method of using fuses meant that they would not blow instantly, they had to heat up and melt, which took longer than the new fast trip switches used now. Like everything in today's world, the more 'safe' it becomes, the more likely it is to malfunction.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2015, 11:36 PM

Well folks, here's what the electrical chap found.
The box with all the switches in it was fine, but the iron itself wasn't, and neither was the socket I had it plugged into!
He's fixed the wall socket, and told me I should take the iron back because its a new one, I've only used it twice.
Not feeling very hopeful of an exchange, because I can't find the bloomin' receipt, I phoned the shop and - bless 'em - they have put another new one by for me to collect tomorrow. They said if that one plays up though, it must be a manufacturing fault and I would need to get on to the makers, Breville, about it.
So I'm glad I got the electrician out, because I wouldn't have known the wires in the wall socket were dodgy otherwise (nor the iron itself, of course).
Haven't had the bill yet, so don't know how much that's cost me, but at least I feel better now.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well folks, here's what the electrical chap found.
The box with all the switches in it was fine, but the iron itself wasn't, and neither was the socket I had it plugged into!
He's fixed the wall socket, and told me I should take the iron back because its a new one, I've only used it twice.
Not feeling very hopeful of an exchange, because I can't find the bloomin' receipt, I phoned the shop and - bless 'em - they have put another new one by for me to collect tomorrow. They said if that one plays up though, it must be a manufacturing fault and I would need to get on to the makers, Breville, about it.
So I'm glad I got the electrician out, because I wouldn't have known the wires in the wall socket were dodgy otherwise (nor the iron itself, of course).
Haven't had the bill yet, so don't know how much that's cost me, but at least I feel better now.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. x
So pleased it has been sorted and is now safe for you Mups

That was good of the shop to replace your iron for you too...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 05:11 AM

I bought one of these

http://www.pattesters.co.uk/pat-acce...FRQatAodxWYA8g

All you do is plug it in and watch the lights. if all 3 light up your are ok, it is that simple
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 05:51 AM

Good Mups as an electrician with inspection and testing experience at high level it looks like the guy has done his job well, getting advice from amateurs on a forum is not a safe way with electrical systems.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 08:57 AM

getting advice from amateurs on a forum is not a safe way with electrical systems.

Unfortunately, as with all things Nom, I have seen some pretty dodgy electrical installations done by 'professionals'. Many years ago I did a degree in Electrical engineering (which is not the same as being an electrician) and later, I was a qualified appliance tester. So, I'm happy to do my own electrical work (within permitted limits), and I'm afraid I don't always appreciate that not everyone understands the principles involved.

So, if you're not happy, get a qualified sparkie. I'm not surprized by what he found. I found a dodgy socket in my house - after it had been fully rewired by a spark. Never had a problem with an iron, but anything with a heating element is more prone to problems.

Hope that's the end to your problems.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Nom

I happened to have served a 5 year apprenticeship as an electrician
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
getting advice from amateurs on a forum is not a safe way with electrical systems.

Unfortunately, as with all things Nom, I have seen some pretty dodgy electrical installations done by 'professionals'. Many years ago I did a degree in Electrical engineering (which is not the same as being an electrician) and later, I was a qualified appliance tester. So, I'm happy to do my own electrical work (within permitted limits), and I'm afraid I don't always appreciate that not everyone understands the principles involved.

So, if you're not happy, get a qualified sparkie. I'm not surprized by what he found. I found a dodgy socket in my house - after it had been fully rewired by a spark. Never had a problem with an iron, but anything with a heating element is more prone to problems.

Hope that's the end to your problems.
Was not getting at you GW, as a tester and inspector my job was to go round and large sites following 100+ electricians who had done their work and walked away thinking it was safe, i had to walk away knowing it was safe.

Engineers gave me grief for not cutting corners, but i had come across an Electrical Clerk of the works on the Hospitals we built, his nickname was Supersnag and he was a bloodhound, and said Engineers would try every trick to save money, add in the shortcomings of us electricians left alone disasters waiting to happen. And That was in pre litigation days.

I was concerned by people saying its reset so its ok. Until you have proven the circuit and equipment thats not the case.

Back in the 60`s and 70`s we had the Skill centers turning out electricians and plumbers in a few months, they were well below apprenticeship standards.

My point for Mups was she needed to have her concerns put to rest, and having her electrics tested will have gone some way to do that, in my apprenticeship days we would have attempted to repair the iron. Washing machines Cookers Motors all formed part of our trade, its different today things have become almost disposable.

Electricity kills and maims, ive seen example of both in my career, and im still learning new things nearly 50 years on from my apprentiship starting in 1968
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 12:07 PM

The electrician just popped in because he had left a sort of screwdriver 'thing' here, and he brought the invoice at the same time.
Guess how much?
£33.60 including vat. It was worth that to put my mind at rest, so I'm well pleased.
I would have gone on using that socket and who knows what might have happened otherwise.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top