Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:28 AM

Bungalows or single story homes

Twenty years ago we lived in a sprawling four bedroom bungalow with plenty of garden front and rear. There were lots of pluses and minuses, but generally bungalows are aimed at the 60+ group. Pressure is on the government to build more, with an aging population.

Any thoughts ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Re: Bungalows or single story homes

Our first home was a semi-detached bungalow, we have had two others since then, but prefer the detached spacious houses in which we also have lived, like our present home. We require at least three bedrooms, a good sized kitchen and lounge, and a study for my husband.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:36 AM

My first house was a bungalow and we found it was so much easier to clean and decorate.... so probably the best idea for older people.

On the down side they use more building land, as they are only one floor, so that means you can build less bungalows than houses.... unless they are very small .
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:43 AM

never lived in a bungalow but we stayed in one once on holiday and it was quite nice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:46 AM

I have always hated the thought of a bungalow , I like to sleep with my windows wide open and somehow doing this in a house feels safer.

I would however like not having stairs to clean or to get up and down with my sore knees
I won't be getting a bungalow unless I win the premium bonds, they are far too expensive around here
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:52 AM

We moved into this 1960's two bed bungalow three years ago from our four bed house and it's great. Easy to clean and maintain, much cheaper to run with less space to heat. Also the added advantage for us is that we now live directly across from the funeral director's so an easy final journey too, in fact we have named our new bungalow "the departure lounge" ....
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Moved into our bungalow about 3 years ago.
There is a small estate of them here. We were waiting for the right one to come up for sale.
Our aim was future proofing as far as possible.
Minimal maintenance, easy access to shops, banks and pubs & clubs.

You can have windows open if you want just fit opening restrictors.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:06 AM

I love my little bungalow. Its a social housing place owned by a housing association.
It looks like a little prefab style house but I suppose thats because it was built in the fifties. Its a semi as I share a side passage with the neighbour to get to our back gardens
Its not posh but its got one bedroom a lounge and very small kitchen. Wet room style bathroom and small back garden.

I think bungalows for old people are ideal as there are no stairs to climb and if your a married couple its not too far for your wife to fall when you send her onto the roof to adjust the satellite dish.

If you study the photograph very, very carefully you can just about see that some horrible person has stolen my bench from under my lounge window.

Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:23 AM

I live in a house but I would love a bungalow. Don't think we.ll ever have one though as they are more expensive than houses. My dad lives is a council run bungalow with one bedroom, it's very small but perfect for him. He is very happy with his home.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:35 AM

We are at present in a house but our next stop is definitely a bungalow.
Like you say the Government should be building more for the older generations but when have the government ever done what the people want.

There is no way I can live in a flat or apartment to many minus's.

I have mentioned a few times about buying a Park Home to the missus which is similar.

So at present still looking and maybe in a year or two there will be a move coming up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top