Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 01:08 AM

Re: Where a no deal Brexit would hit hardest

It's time we all boycotted the supermarkets, all of them. They have bullied our country's farmers and dairies to brutally push down the cost of the products they supply whilst charging the customers much more and pocketing the difference.

We have lost most of our great local trades that people used to use extensively. Butchers, grocers, Green Grocers, real dairies, bakeries and so on.

If people were all of a similar mind, they could bring the supermarkets to their knees, see them go bust or having to radically reform their attitudes and practices.

I buy all my meat from a very reputable farm shop with good provenance.
When I can source good organic local veg I will choose that over supermarket crap.

Milk and cereals are about all I buy from supermarkets and veg until I can get better sources.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's time we all boycotted the supermarkets, all of them. They have bullied our country's farmers and dairies to brutally push down the cost of the products they supply whilst charging the customers much more and pocketing the difference.
Why Realist? It's a different world these days and shopping has evolved. Everyone has a car these days [well most anyway] and towns and cities are just not practical for visiting in a vehicle any more. You yourself are always telling us how the motorist is being persecuted! I like supermarkets, I can obtain just about everything I want under one roof and only have to walk a hundred yards to load it my motor....And as it happens I enjoy meeting the same staff every week for a natter....Just like the old days...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Am I wrong in thinking that although they are German establishments they are locally sourced?
I think Lidl is Scandinavian. Yes they do source fresh food locally, I believe. They do stock some of our "normal" brands too.
Excellent special offers, the supermarkets are clean and staff well paid and efficient.

My cats prefer to eat Aldi cat food, they won't touch Tesco's for some reason.

If our supermarkets disappear where will the farmers sell the vast amounts of food they produce? I can't see local shops ordering huge amounts that may perish.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Lidl and Aldi are both German. Aldi was started by 2 brothers who later fell out and the company was split into Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Lidl and Aldi are both German. Aldi was started by 2 brothers who later fell out and the company was split into Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud
Thanks for that Ray, it sounds a bit like the Adidas story when two brothers went into business designing running shoes because there weren't any around at the time. They eventually had a spat and split up......What is it with German siblings?..
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think Lidl is Scandinavian. Yes they do source fresh food locally, I believe. They do stock some of our "normal" brands too.
Excellent special offers, the supermarkets are clean and staff well paid and efficient.

My cats prefer to eat Aldi cat food, they won't touch Tesco's for some reason.

If our supermarkets disappear where will the farmers sell the vast amounts of food they produce? I can't see local shops ordering huge amounts that may perish.
Lidl is German

The combination of out of town superstores and on line retailing, particularly Amazon is gradually killing off our high streets
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Lidl is German

The combination of out of town superstores and on line retailing, particularly Amazon is gradually killing off our high streets
The motor car and local councils were doing that Banchory long before the internet and out of town stores.....It's progress... Or the path of least resistance [or expenditure] as it's sometimes called...
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 06:30 PM

Possibly France is starting to look at the realities now and the dwarf is starting to talk sense

Macron 'will give Brexit backstop' assurances
https://mol.im/a/6711835

Macron will give Britain legally binding assurances the backstop isn't permanent
Attorney general Geoffrey Cox said backstop could trap Britain in customs union
EU diplomats believe assurances will mean Mr Cox will change his legal advice
Comes following last-ditch bid to help get the withdrawal agreement finalised
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 07:50 PM

You don’t get to tell us what to do anymore ( shrug shoulders )

https://youtu.be/eXqMrCObXbo

Can you believe it ... a politician actually talking sense

https://youtu.be/GxfzjJqpapA
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 07:58 PM

Germany starts to slip into recession....

USA threatening 25% tariffs in German cars from next month ...

The EU is a disaster - 39 billion won't scratch the surface of their problems.

Time to go

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top