Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 03:19 PM

Lucy's Law and Lockdown

This is from an article I feel so strongly about.
Apologies for it being so long, but I will try and stick to the most important bits only.

I don't know how many of you have heard about ' Lucy's Law' which was supposed to passed in April this year.

" April was supposed to be an historic month for animal welfare. Lucy's Law was supposed to bring in groundbreaking legislation that would end the third-party sellong of pets. No more pups and kittens in pet shops and no more nasty entrepreneurs buying up imported, battery-farmed pups cheap from shady dealers and reselling them over the internet, posing as 'home breeders.'
After Lucy's Law, the public would only be able to buy direct from the breeder and witness first hand how these little souls were reared.

Then came Lockdown.

The public responded to lockdown by switching from hoarding toilet rolls to panic-buying puppies.
Prices on Gumtree started to rise.
The Daily Mail helped fuel puppe lust with a piece about the PM's sister finding true love after rushing out and buying an expensive Cockpoo pup days before the travel ban.
The puppy was gorgeous, and now everybody wanted one.

It was soon announced that people could no longer travel to view their pups. (This is why animal rescues couldn't let animals go anymore - plus they couldn't do homechecks).
However, the 'licences breeders' could now use registered animal couriers to deliver their 'stock.'
DEFRA has inadvertently given the puppy farmers permission to sell pups like pizza!

The prices on Gumtree continued soaring. I was even hearing of people being 'gazumped'!
The puppy farmers liked delivering direct, as they could cut out the middle man and so make even more money.
Soon Gumtree had many 'Wanted' ads for puppies as litters started to sell out so quickly.
Almost inevitably, there was a huge surge in puppy thefts.
One licenced Doodle breeder had 22 of her dogs stolen, some being pregnant bitches plus two litters of puppies too young to be away from their mother.

Meanwhile the puppy farms were enjoying a holiday from being inspected as vets were only dealing with emergency cases, and local councils weren't enforcing licensing either.

Some of the greediest 'farmers' were even taking deposits for litters not even in the country yet - as they were now having to import puppies from foreign puppy farms as they had sold out of their own stock.
One pet shop even started selling the sick, worn out, exhausted adult ex-breeding stock for thousands of pounds, re-branding it as 'Rescue.'

Action Fraud also spotted a a spike in the sale of imaginary pups with 524 cases in April alone, treble the cases of March.

It is understandable that people crave the love of a dog in difficult times, but let's hope that as lockdown eases, puppy deliveries will stop and Lucy's Law can finally start to put an end to this breeding slavery."

The End.

I worry about all these innocent young souls that have been shipped from pillar to post all their short life with no maternal guidance, no proper rearing or love.
Apart from their emotional and physical health, what do those who bought these poor animals think they are going to do with them once they go back to work? Are they going to dump them in rescue, or leave them sitting alone staring at the kitchen wall all day after they have just got used to companionship for the first time in their lives?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 03:33 PM

Re: Lucy's Law and Lockdown

If people did their research and only bought from responsible sources, and were willing to wait, puppy farms would have to close.

I understand Dogs Trust has changed it's famous message to . . "A dog is for life, not just for lockdown."
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 04:42 PM

Mups I heard a lot of puppies had been stolen
I wonder how many of the puppies bought in haste will end up in rescue.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 06:00 PM

Yes.........Lucy's Law.
There were more than five reported dog thefts in the UK each day in 2018.

I suspect that most of those were captured or worse fates.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-06-2020, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes.........Lucy's Law.
There were more than five reported dog thefts in the UK each day in 2018.

I suspect that most of those were captured or worse fates.

Then it will horrify to look at the situation now, and these are only the ones who register, which not everyone does:

https://www.doglost.co.uk/dog-search.php?status=Lost
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 06:56 PM

It is disgraceful Mups. I have felt for a long time that the only people who should be allowed to sell puppies, or kittens, should be those who are listed on an authorized breeders list.... and they should be checked on an annual basis!

Every cat I have ever owned came from a rescue centre but now they can't handle the number of unwanted or neglected pets. It hardly costs a fortune to have pets neutered & over the last 38 years I have not had one cat that has suffered any ill effects from being neutered.
It is way time that all people who want to make money from breeding pets should have to keep computer records of every pet they have sold & to whom they sold it. After all they should be making sure that the pups they sell are going to caring homes.

I am sorry but I believe that anybody who buys pets online & has them delivered is not a person that i would call an animal lover. If I was buying a puppy, or a kitten, I would want to see the mother & where she gave birth to them , before I paid for it!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Then it will horrify to look at the situation now, and these are only the ones who register, which not everyone does:

https://www.doglost.co.uk/dog-search.php?status=Lost
Five per day.........about 5,000.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-06-2020, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Five per day.........about 5,000.

Yes, I saw what you said thank you!

Let me show you something Besoeker.
An exert from The Dog Listener.

"Three weeks ago a litter of Staffy puppies was snatched from a house in Manchester The five-week-old puppies were shoved into carrier bags and their mother was slashed in the face with a machete when she tried to defend them. Fortunately, the perpetrators were caught and the puppies returned unharmed. They were lucky this time

I believe that potentially 50 dogs a day are stolen.
Sadly, only one in five dogs is reunited with its owner, leaving 80% mourning the loss of their pet for many years.

Because of either apathy or time constraints in our police and judicial system, dog thefts are not being officially reported. Instead, the frantic owners are turning to pet detective agencies, and online groups like the fantastic (2) Dog Lost. Which is a free donation led organisation that helps thousands of pets to be reunited with their distraught owners?

Organised Gangs: Dogs have been reported stolen from homes, cars and outside of shops and of course on walks and from gardens, people have been held at knifepoint whilst the dogs have been snatched.

There are organised gangs that drive around parks and streets looking for vulnerable people and dogs. Many dogs are stolen from front or back gardens. If a dog is off the lead dognappers can lure them with food towards bushes before clipping on a lead or looping a slip lead over their heads. I teach all my dogs not to take food off strangers unless they are given a specific command

Gangs have been observed marking homes that have pets using chalk markings on nearby curbs or on the house itself. The marks can be letters or just symbols. Therefore it is worth keeping an eye for any suspicious new marks near your property".

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/dramat...dogs-thefts-uk
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

28-06-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
It is disgraceful Mups. I have felt for a long time that the only people who should be allowed to sell puppies, or kittens, should be those who are listed on an authorized breeders list.... and they should be checked on an annual basis!l
Yes, should.
But don't always.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 08:43 PM

I agree with everything you say Mups. As if you would want to buy a life online and have it delivered like a parcel without knowing its background and the conditions it was raised in.

Slightly off topic but when our house was up for sale, an Eastern European couple came to view it. The wife instantly fell in love with our two cats and asked if we would sell them with the house. To some people, pets are just an accessory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top