Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 08:03 AM

Wimbeldon.

No Wimbeldon this year(some people will be pleased)
I'll have to make do with some matches from years ago on BBC2.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 08:35 AM

Re: Wimbeldon.

The weather doesn't know, I watched it when Connors,McEnroe,Borg,were in their prime,lost interest after that until Murray came on the scene.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Some of the best matches I've seen.... Nadal v Djokovic.

Yes I too will miss Wimbledon this year.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Shame. It's part of the grand slam series and it will be missed. ARe they all off?..I should know but..I don't.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 10:03 AM

I am another great fan of Wimbledon and tennis in general. I remember the great days of Connor and McEnroe, intense games in those days

I’ll miss not watching Wimbledon this year...... but I’ll still be munching on my strawberries!
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 10:17 AM

One of the changes/advances in the modern game, for me.... is the Ladies game.

More than a handful are capable of winning the top tournaments, and the Tennis is much faster with longer rallies, making the matches exciting and more often now, a better watch than the Mens
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 11:26 AM

Back in the late 70's, 78 I think it was, our school organised a trip to wimbledon, god it was boring, we queued for hours to get in and when we got in our tickets only allowed us to watch the really crappy matches, those that never get on tv.
Well myself and another mate wandered off and somehow ended up in this big sort of building, that was open to the sky but had walls around it (court 1) we were just in time to see this woman winning and she was holding this massive silver plate (Virginia Wade), then this security guard spotted us and chased us all over the place, that was the most exciting part of the trip, lol.
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 06:45 PM

Blast of the past this afternoon-Martina Navratilova v Chris Evert in the 1978 final.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
Back in the late 70's, 78 I think it was, our school organised a trip to wimbledon, god it was boring, we queued for hours to get in and when we got in our tickets only allowed us to watch the really crappy matches, those that never get on tv.
Well myself and another mate wandered off and somehow ended up in this big sort of building, that was open to the sky but had walls around it (court 1) we were just in time to see this woman winning and she was holding this massive silver plate (Virginia Wade), then this security guard spotted us and chased us all over the place, that was the most exciting part of the trip, lol.
I agree sparky. We have been to Wimbledon which was great for the experience as our tickets were allocated but the match was a crappy doubles and not as good as watching on tv. I'm glad I went but wouldn't go again.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2020, 08:13 PM

I worked that area for BT during wimbledon fortnight and it was hell trying to get anywhere. Not only roads closed but police redirecting and what made it worse the players were given priority on the roads (wimbldon marked all over hired cars they used). Never mind the tradesmen who worked there all year, ie utilities companies, that had to carry out necessary jobs.
No you can stuff wimbledon and those in charge there were so far up their snobby noses thinking they ruled all and everyone. Even the locals close by moved out during that fortnight.

However you don't get shown that side on TV do you? our customers didn't get their phone jobs done in houses or business it was impossible, not only getting to them but parking crown vehicles as they were back then. You just could not park anywhere near the work that was required although crown vehicles were exempt from parking restictions.

Wimbledon tennis should be moved to the Salisbury Plains out of everyones way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top