Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 07:10 PM

Re: Benefit Cheats..

The problem with benefit cheats getting caught is that the legal system treats the majority of them with leniency. Many times you read in the papers of benefit cheats getting caught, they get taken to court and the judge tells them they only have to pay back £1 or even a tenner. It's pathetic.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The problem with benefit cheats getting caught is that the legal system treats the majority of them with leniency. Many times you read in the papers of benefit cheats getting caught, they get taken to court and the judge tells them they only have to pay back £1 or even a tenner. It's pathetic.
Just one aspect of our lenient penal system these days.

No wonder crime of all sorts is on the increase.

I wonder how long it will be before those in authority realise what they're doing. Perhaps that's what they want: complete anarchy?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:17 PM

I think sometimes the government is between a rock and a hard place.....They take a lenient stance on benefit cheats and we [the people] are up in arms and wringing our hands telling them how soft they are......

Or they try to change the system, as in universal credits to make the system simplified, and everyone complains that genuine cases are being denied benefits.....You can't satisfy all the people all of the time.....
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think sometimes the government is between a rock and a hard place.....They take a lenient stance on benefit cheats and we [the people] are up in arms and wringing our hands telling them how soft they are......

Or they try to change the system, as in universal credits to make the system simplified, and everyone complains that genuine cases are being denied benefits.....You can't satisfy all the people all of the time.....

Having being unemployed twice and seeing how the system works first hand, I can understand why the government wanted all the benefits to come under one system, instead of having multiple systems which required multiple separate departments. The problem is, in my opinion, those tasked with designing the new system have never experienced unemployment because if they did, it would never have been designed the way it is now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 10:31 PM

Having being unemployed twice and seeing how the system works first hand, I can understand why the government wanted all the benefits to come under one system, instead of having multiple systems which required multiple separate departments. The problem is, in my opinion, those tasked with designing the new system have never experienced unemployment because if they did, it would never have been designed the way it is now.
I have no idea how the benefits system works. I can only go by what I have heard.

My brother has been unemployed for a long time and related his experiences of the system. I don't know the full details of his disability as he doesn't like to talk about it, but I gather it revolves around him having a bad back and finds it difficult to move.

He told us of when he went for an assessment and was interviewed by a girl who, it transpired, was not medically qualified and relied on a check-list to guide her questions.

Again, I don't know the full details of what happened, but he said that he was asked to walk a few yards along a corridor and, because he managed it (eventually) he was declared fit for work.

He maintains that, due to his difficulties, he should have been seen by a medically qualified examiner but, apparently, because that would have entailed unnecessary expense for them, it was denied.

I suppose the long and short of it is that the system can work both ways - for and against both genuine and bogus claimants - that the system needs a complete overhaul.
Dodge
Kent, UK

09-07-2020, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have no idea how the benefits system works. I can only go by what I have heard.

My brother has been unemployed for a long time and related his experiences of the system. I don't know the full details of his disability as he doesn't like to talk about it, but I gather it revolves around him having a bad back and finds it difficult to move.

He told us of when he went for an assessment and was interviewed by a girl who, it transpired, was not medically qualified and relied on a check-list to guide her questions.

Again, I don't know the full details of what happened, but he said that he was asked to walk a few yards along a corridor and, because he managed it (eventually) he was declared fit for work.

He maintains that, due to his difficulties, he should have been seen by a medically qualified examiner but, apparently, because that would have entailed unnecessary expense for them, it was denied.

I suppose the long and short of it is that the system can work both ways - for and against both genuine and bogus claimants - that the system needs a complete overhaul.
What you describe about your brother is well known and has been reported on numerous times.

To save money, the Department of Health and Social Care contracted out the assessment checks to a 3r party contractor. It was then found out that the DHS stipulated in the contract that for every person that is taken off the system, the contractor gets x amount of extra money. So of course, when doing the assessments, many people were being told they was fit to work. The case worker would tick a box on the computer and this would filter through the DHS system where another computer would flag it up and remove that person from the system. Letters started coming through letterboxes telling people their benefits had stopped.

Cases only came to light when disabled people complained to their local MP and to their local newspaper, with supporting documentation from their GP saying they were unable to work. This caught the attention of the main press and when they reported on it, it became major headline news and a major scandal for the DHS
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2020, 11:59 PM

What you describe about your brother is well known and has been reported on numerous times.

To save money, the Department of Health and Social Care contracted out the assessment checks to a 3r party contractor. It was then found out that the DHS stipulated in the contract that for every person that is taken off the system, the contractor gets x amount of extra money. So of course, when doing the assessments, many people were being told they was fit to work. The case worker would tick a box on the computer and this would filter through the DHS system where another computer would flag it up and remove that person from the system. Letters started coming through letterboxes telling people their benefits had stopped.

Cases only came to light when disabled people complained to their local MP and to their local newspaper, with supporting documentation from their GP saying they were unable to work. This caught the attention of the main press and when they reported on it, it became major headline news and a major scandal for the DHS
That makes a lot of sense.

I haven't asked my brother any more about this because he's a bit touchy about it, other than to say that he is now on benefits.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 03:56 AM

Hi

At least they have their Benefits stopped so saving the rest of us money.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 07:34 AM

It all pales into insignificance next to the furlough debacle .
Why would anyone work if they can sit at home especially if they have a boring job.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Watch out benefit cheats..I believe a lot of you are being watched.

Did you know your neighbors also watch and report you.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top