Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 12:31 AM

Gravity

Fantastic isn't it? Without it you wouldn't be able to pee into the pan so easily, and the splashback !!!!!!!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 01:16 AM

Re: Gravity

Without gravity your pee would just accumulate as balls of liquid floating in mid air and never have splashback problems
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 02:07 AM

I'll take gravity with my peas thanks. Oh god there I go..rude again.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 03:53 AM

OH No! Just remember it is only a theory.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Fantastic isn't it? Without it you wouldn't be able to pee into the pan so easily, and the splashback !!!!!!!
Jeez why don't you use butter or oil in your pan like everyone else...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 11:01 AM

One day, Scientists may well find a way of reversing Gravity so that it pulls upwards, instead of downwards.

We'd all have to wear magnetic boots, to stay on the planet, but all of the waste products, like plastic, etc., would fly away.

I'm working on it!

(Thinks, it will make it much cheaper for aeroplanes to take off but how will we keep all the oceans on the ground?
Gives up, goes to some other plan.....!)

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 11:04 AM

Ever thought about the potential nightmare of designing the sewage waste system in the Post Office tower?

I mean what must the terminal velocity be of a "log" after falling in a duct for over 150 metres?

In free space gravity causes an acceleration of 9.8 metres per second sqd which means there's going to be a hell of a lot of kinetic energy to be released when it hits the end of its travel!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Ever thought about the potential nightmare of designing the sewage waste system in the Post Office tower?

I mean what must the terminal velocity be of a "log" after falling in a duct for over 150 metres?

In free space gravity causes an acceleration of 9.8 metres per second sqd which means there's going to be a hell of a lot of kinetic energy to be released when it hits the end of its travel!
One of the Power Stations I worked in had large copper downpipes from the roof. The were all flattened by the falling rain water causing a partial vacuum in the pipe as it fell the 40m + due to the venturi effect.

I used to work in the PO Tower many, many decades ago and while I can't comment on the efficiency of the sewage system I can tell you that the water in the toilets used to slop slightly from the tower's movement.

The high speed lifts in that building originally had a problem with the cables piling on the roof of the lift cage because their rate of fall was was reduced by wind resistance and large holes had to be cut in the base of the lift shaft to let the air out. When the lifts reached the ground floor they used to bounce slightly under the influence of the cables.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
One of the Power Stations I worked in had large copper downpipes from the roof. The were all flattened by the falling rain water causing a partial vacuum in the pipe as it fell the 40m + due to the venturi effect.

I used to work in the PO Tower many, many decades ago and while I can't comment on the efficiency of the sewage system I can tell you that the water in the toilets used to slop slightly from the tower's movement.

The high speed lifts in that building originally had a problem with the cables piling on the roof of the lift cage because their rate of fall was was reduced by wind resistance and large holes had to be cut in the base of the lift shaft to let the air out. When the lifts reached the ground floor they used to bounce slightly under the influence of the cables.

What was the reason for using copper Brucy? its not exactly the
cheapest material! Do you think they doubled up as lightning
conductors as well?
Very interesting anecdote though!
Donkeyman!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-03-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
What was the reason for using copper Brucy? its not exactly the
cheapest material! Do you think they doubled up as lightning
conductors as well?
Very interesting anecdote though!
Donkeyman!
Copper doesn't corrode but is stronger than lead and we mine copper, lead etc

Actually I worked for a while at a large Port Kembla firm called ERS (Electrolytic Refining and Smelting or Eat, Rest and Sleep) which used to smelt copper. Side products from copper ore are lead, silver and gold and we used to be tested every three months for lead in our blood.

The blokes working in the gold and silver refinery were avoided in the pub because the process made them smell funny. I used to know why but have long forgotten.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top