Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2020, 10:59 PM

Re: BOE Prepared for NO DEAL!! HOORAY!!

Like Barry, l was for getting a so called deal was the way to go,
but as time went on l came to realise we had gradually robbed
and twisted out of what used to belong to us and were being treated
like we were a joke and only there to supplement their budget and
sell their goods to, it was all one way? And the worst thing was
that most of our leaders could not see it and were actually
infatuated with europe?
I am now convinced that any sort of deal will be of detriment to
us in some way or other?
They call it compromise, but we did all our compromising under
Theresa May, and if we compromise any further we will be back where we started?
NO DEAL is the only way to go now!
If we dont get complete control of our fishing groundss then our
leaders have failed us AGAIN !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟😟
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Like Barry, l was for getting a so called deal was the way to go,
If we dont get complete control of our fishing groundss then our
leaders have failed us AGAIN !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟😟
Perhaps first a few facts donks?

But Dr Emma Cardwell, from the University of Glasgow, told the BBC that an enforced change in ownership would be "legally tricky" for the government.
Many parts of the quota were sold by English fishermen in the 1990s when fishing rights were cut dramatically. Cod fishing, for instance, was almost entirely stopped for several years.
Foreign companies then bought it up as a long-term investment, and experts say the quota market has been allowed to develop in an unregulated way ever since.
"There's a lack of clarity on the legal status of fishing rights," Dr Cardwell said, "meaning the government is very vulnerable to litigation if it tries to reallocate quota.
"Any foreign fishing companies that purchased UK quota in good faith would be very likely to sue if this was now taken away from them."

As fishing is a devolved policy, the way the quota is managed differs around the UK.
England and Wales, where a majority voted for Brexit, have both allowed foreign ownership of more than half their fishing quota.
In Wales, which is allocated a tiny share of the UK quota, the figure is as high as 85% of the annual value - most of it held by one big industrial trawler.
But in Scotland, which is responsible for about 60% of the UK quota, only 4% of the annual value in 2019 was in foreign hands. In Northern Ireland the figure was 2%.
"The Scottish fishing industry is largely made up of family-owned businesses," said Elspeth MacDonald, from the Scottish Fishermen's Federation.
"These businesses have developed the industry during the good times and have had the desire and resolve to hold on through difficult times, when others have not."

In conclusion, the loss of fishing rights is mainly an english problem for which they have only themselves to blame.

https://www.bbc.com/news/52420116?in...eporting-story
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 04:41 AM

Hi

We have sold our Quotas to Foreign Owners.

A huge mistake, but our choice.

Taking them back without compensation will open us up to legal action.

The other thing is that Fishing is Devolved.

Boris can only determine what will happen to English fishing rights, which are minimal.

Scotland and Northern Ireland control most of them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
You keep telling us we sold off our quotas, we did not, they are set each year by the EU under the CFP so get your facts right. You even went so far as to say we need to buy them back which is completely wrong and misleading. When we leave the Withdrawal Agreement, sovereignty of UK territorial returns completely to the UK. We do not need to give compensation either to foreign vessels - this is a complete fabrication of the truth.

Secondly, you want people to pay more tax but then are campaigning for the elimination of import taxes from the EU as part of a free trade agreement. How hypocritical

Fishing is devolved but still comes under UK laws - something you failed to point out in your last post.

With a name like Swimfeeders I would expect you to know the basics about UK fishing, but you have absolutely no idea.

Get your facts right.
Hi

My facts are right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52420116

The figures are also available online at the Government web site.

I also want a FTA with the EU to protect our own Exports.

That is very differnt to paying more tax.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My facts are right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52420116

The figures are also available online at the Government web site.

I also want a FTA with the EU to protect our own Exports.

That is very differnt to paying more tax.
Quotas are set by the EU as part of the CFP. We did not sell our lifetimes quotas of fish, that's completely wrong. We sell our quotas on a yearly basis when they are set by the EU.

UK territorial waters belong to the UK. We have left the EU and these return directly under UK control at the end of the withdrawal period. At this point the UK will set quotas based on zonal attachment, with licenses, restrictions on types of vessel and processing in UK ports, similar to Norway and almost word for word as I've been predicting over the past year.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 11:28 AM

Quotas are set by the EU as part of the CFP. We did not sell our lifetimes quotas of fish, that's completely wrong. We sell our quotas on a yearly basis when they are set by the EU.

UK territorial waters belong to the UK. We have left the EU and these return directly under UK control at the end of the withdrawal period. At this point the UK will set quotas based on zonal attachment, with licenses, restrictions on types of vessel and processing in UK ports, similar to Norway and almost word for word as I've been predicting over the past year.
Thanks for answering Solly for me Bread!
I find it rather tiring with him either repeating himself or giving forth
with pages of euroshyte when it all really comes down to the
simple FACT of sovereignty and ownership??
SIMPLES!!

Donkeyman! 👍😇👍
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Thanks for answering Solly for me Bread!
I find it rather tiring with him either repeating himself or giving forth
with pages of euroshyte when it all really comes down to the
simple FACT of sovereignty and ownership??
SIMPLES!!

Donkeyman! 👍😇👍

Your welcome, DM.

I'm at a loose end this morning as HR have deleted my accounts by accident so I can't do any work because I can't log in to the network.

I'll still bill them for it though
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 01:52 PM

Quota are set every year, per species of fish. It is the fishing right that determines who is allowed to catch them. The english and welsh sold their rights (and the quota that come with them).

The continental companies bought the british fishing rights at a time there were no quota allowed. So the english thought they made a profitable deal.
Then some years later, when fish stocks had improved, there were quota allowed, but the english and welsh didn't have the right to catch them. The french, belgian and dutch had them. Oh, how maddening for the english. Seems the british are not good at trade.

You control the waters, but we hold the fishing rights. Wanna buy them back? Pay up!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Quota are set every year, per species of fish. It is the fishing right that determines who is allowed to catch them. The english and welsh sold their rights (and the quota that come with them).

The continental companies bought the british fishing rights at a time there were no quota allowed. So the english thought they made a profitable deal.
Then some years later, when fish stocks had improved, there were quota allowed, but the english and welsh didn't have the right to catch them. The french, belgian and dutch had them. Oh, how maddening for the english. Seems the british are not good at trade.
Fishing rights weren't sold at all.

What are you on about ? It's like something out of Harry Potter ...
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

05-06-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
For you it must be like witchcraft. You make me laugh, please stay at it, you're good at it!
I wish you knew what you were talking about

I think your confusing fishing rights with "access rights" which every ship has in all waters. That's why the Russian steam boats chug through the channel every so often and the press get all wound up.

Rights of access and safe passage do not give anyone the right to plunder fish stocks, for that you need to comply with UK rules. Licensing is different too - I suggest you go to the library and read about it, because I'm sick of explaining it to you.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top