Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Anyone had a Senior Moment Lately?

Good morning everyone, hope you are all well and staying safe.

Just thought I would share a humorous, lighthearted moment of something that occurred yesterday, and which had HWMO in stitches.

I know I have mentioned it before, I love baking cakes and puds etc but making pastry?
Absolutely bottom of the class! This is strange, as my Mum had fabulous pastry-making skills, but there we are, my excuse is that I have very warm hands and as everyone knows, warm hands do not make for good pastry, so I gave up years ago. But hey, not to worry, I bulk buy packets of Jus-Rol shortcrust, puff and Filo pastry from the supermarket and no-one is any the wiser once the item is baked,(and the packet quickly and discreetly dispatched to the bin every time).

Anyhow, goodness knows where my mind was yesterday. I set out to make an apple and blackberry pie (defrosted frozen blackberries). I took the two blocks of shortcrust frozen pastry from its paper wrapping and put the wrapper into the bin. I did the usual routine, spread the flour, rolled out the pastry, wrapped it around the rolling pin and laid it gently into the 10-inch fluted pie tart tin, oven preheated to 180, scrunched parchment paper at the ready, baking beans to hand ready to blind bake the pie crust, so far, so good. I then popped it into the oven to blind bake for 15 minutes. That was fine, removed the beans and paper, and popped it back into the oven for a further 5/7 minutes to ensure the bottom of the pie crust was well done. (No-one wants a soggy bottom!)

After I put the pie crust back in for the final 5/7 minutes, Timer on, I walked into the front room to catch the news. After about 3 minutes, HWMO called out as he walked through the kitchen, I rushed out to see what had happened and found him staring at the oven which contained my pie case. I couldn’t believe it! Instead of my usual lovely pie crust ready to put the prepared fruit into,I was staring at a monstrosity that had risen from the middle shelf to the actual roof of my oven!! In fact, I would go as far as to say, if I was entering this into a Yorkshire Pudding competition, I would be walking away with a first prize!!

I just couldn’t understand what had gone wrong with the shortcrust pastry. That is, until with a red face and HWMO not helping by standing there laughing his head off, I removed this monstrosity of pastry crust from the oven and realised the bloomer I had made. I had picked up a packet of Puff Pastry blocks from the freezer instead of Shortcrust!! I should have known as shortcrust is a blue pack, Puff pastry a green. But there we are, yet another senior moment, which seems to be becoming a lot more frequent these days.

Of course, it ended up in the bin. Even I know that Puff pastry pies still have to have a shortcrust base. (Doesn’t help that HWMO is still chuckling about it today and repeating “That was classic”.
I will never be allowed to forget it!).
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 09:51 AM

Re: Anyone had a Senior Moment Lately?

I'm amazed that you binned it SG, I would have cooked the fruit up and spread it out onto the pastry to make a fruit tart, scrummy....

Pastry though is simple, if you have particulary warm hands just keep the flour in the freezer which will counteract it. I found this out by accident after Rosemary started keeping the flour in the freezer in case there were any weevils in it, which we have found in flour in the past when we just kept in the cupboard, so really it serves two purposes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 10:25 AM

I am sure we all have 'those day' SG
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 10:41 AM

I suppose we can, and do, have so up some and downs.
Been ups and downs..........maybe getting a bit over it............
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 10:42 AM

Am still chuckling over your story Shropshiregirl!!

I just have CRAFT moments - Can't Remember A Flipping Thing!!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 11:48 AM

SG, You binned it? Nooooo..... Eeeek!

I would have sliced it up and spread raspberry jam and whipped cream on it. Sort of cream slices style!
Or done as Barry suggested, to still use the fruit with it.

I have never used those bean things to stop the shortcrust pastry rising. I just prick it all over!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 02:30 PM

I wouldn't have had that problem as all I can make is a decent apple and blackcurrant crumble. Bramley apples bought from the shop with a packet of crumble mix and blackcurrants picked locally from the hedgerows. All prepared on the worktop right next to the oven then cooked and left to cool as I prefer crumbles cold – delicious!

Don't lose too much sleep over your 'little mistake', many of us make them as we get older, just worry about things when you forget who you are. Then HWMO can remind you!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 03:12 PM

not a senior yet, i am still in my 'young' 50's but i am sure i will have them as i get older haha
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I wouldn't have had that problem as all I can make is a decent apple and blackcurrant crumble. Bramley apples bought from the shop with a packet of crumble mix and blackcurrants picked locally from the hedgerows. All prepared on the worktop right next to the oven then cooked and left to cool as I prefer crumbles cold – delicious!

Don't lose too much sleep over your 'little mistake', many of us make them as we get older, just worry about things when you forget who you are. Then HWMO can remind you!
Whoops! Should have written blackberries NOT blackcurrants! Those are not often found in any of the hedgerows 'out in the sticks'.

Maybe that was a 'senior moment', in truth though it was just an error!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 09:09 PM

I have senior moments all the time, more as time goes by. I'm only just a baby senior too.

I've panicked looking for my glasses when they are on my face more than once.

I was leaving a club (this was about 5 years ago so I wasn't even a senior) and I couldn't find my handbag anywhere, I had my friends looking for it when one of my friends howled with laughter pointing at me...........Bev.............it's round yer neck hahaha. I made everyone laugh I suppose including myself but I did feel a numpty.

No hope for me is there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top