Join for free
Page 31 of 31 « First < 21 29 30 31
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:02 AM

Re: Statues

Originally Posted by Mups ->
May I poke me nose in here and put a whole different slant on the subject of destroying Statues.
Now these aren't my own words, I just wanted to quote something from the Sunday paper which looks at wrecking these statues from a different angle.

Quote:

"The Prime Minister says that to remove statues - even ones commemorating people such as slave trader Edward Colston - is to ' lie about our history.'
This seems fair.

"So presumably, when so many in Britain were cheering Iraquis as they tore down the statue of Saddam Hussein, Boris screamed: "NO. They must leave him up there. He's part of their history.'

He must feel the same about the statues of Stalin that were torn down.
And he must be furious that in France, or anywhere else invaded by the Germans, there are no monuments to Hitler."

Unquote.

Interesting way of looking at it, I thought.
I believe there is a difference in that Saddam was a tyrant responsible for the awful state the country had descended into and the people directly affected were responding to a thing that they had been affected by. Such is not the case with this shower of "Woke" useful idiots.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
It would be nice if statues showed only the best that a nation has to offer. Personally, I can think of hundreds and hundreds of moral, high caliber people who deserve statues.

Perhaps, at the very top of my list of deserving people is Gandhi. I can think of no other moral, service to his country, man than Gandhi.

Unfortunately, there are modern day people who don't give a hoot about morality.
What represented good morality in the past when the whole moral compass was very different from today should not be condemned because of significant changes in the moral compass today, many of which are stupid and deplorable and based on emotion rather than fact.

People who "did good" in their day and observed accepted standards of behaviour should not be condemned because of changes in what comprises good morality today.

They were people of their time.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Tearing down statues is just a Mao'ist way of destroying the country so it can be rebuilt on communism like Poll Pot did.

Interesting quote from Jordan Petersen I saw yesterday.

[quote]

Just like the terrorists in the Middle East surrounded their hideout with innocent women and children, so if you bomb the hideout, you kill these innocent people. The social justice warrior types do exactly the same thing. They find a group and they use them as a protective shield while they move incrementally forward. If you object, suddenly, your picking on the poor, vulnerable people.

[unquote]

Last time I saw statues torn down like this it was the Islamic State tearing down religious artefacts and statues in the Middle East, in the same way that BLM have been tearing down historic statues in London.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

17-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Krauts, Japs, Yids, Yanks, Brits, Frogs . . . are all these banned from now on then?
Well I'll continue to call a spade a spade and if not verbalise it always think in that way.

As Shirley Conran wrote "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:32 AM

But, it seems Life's not too short to keep the Mushrooms in the dark, and feed them on Bullshit.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

17-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
But, it seems Life's not too short to keep the Mushrooms in the dark, and feed them on Bullshit.
A great many are incapable of digesting anything else.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:52 AM

May I poke me nose in here and put a whole different slant on the subject of destroying Statues.
Now these aren't my own words, I just wanted to quote something from the Sunday paper which looks at wrecking these statues from a different angle.

Quote:

"The Prime Minister says that to remove statues - even ones commemorating people such as slave trader Edward Colston - is to ' lie about our history.'
This seems fair.

"So presumably, when so many in Britain were cheering Iraquis as they tore down the statue of Saddam Hussein, Boris screamed: "NO. They must leave him up there. He's part of their history.'

He must feel the same about the statues of Stalin that were torn down.
And he must be furious that in France, or anywhere else invaded by the Germans, there are no monuments to Hitler."

Unquote.

Interesting way of looking at it, I thought.
Morning Mups.....
Just a quick point I noticed in the quote you posted.....
I don't think many people were cheering in the UK since most people didn't want to go to war there in the first place. And the argument drags on, with many people wanting to see Blair prosecuted over the war crimes he committed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
What represented good morality in the past when the whole moral compass was very different from today should not be condemned because of significant changes in the moral compass today, many of which are stupid and deplorable and based on emotion rather than fact.

People who "did good" in their day and observed accepted standards of behaviour should not be condemned because of changes in what comprises good morality today.

They were people of their time.
Great post Todger.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 11:26 AM

To keep a rein on anarchy can require a certain type of person, usually not wholesome.

Page 31 of 31 « First < 21 29 30 31

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top