Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 12:16 PM

Take Away

During Lockdown more takeaways and convenience food were ordered than before.
There does seem to be a good selection of food from different Countries.
I do not eat them as they do not agree with me, mainly due to added chemicals.

Some of my friends and families only eat so called Junk Food.
They only use the Microwave and never cook.
However all their childen look healthy and are taller than their parents, so does that means that there is some nutriton and vitamins in Junk food?

Can the body actually tell the difference?

My freind who is only allowed to eat only fresh food and muesli for breakfast, goes for a bike ride early each morning, and he really looks forward to occasionally going McDonalds for a big Fry Up.

SH..Don't tell his wife!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 12:42 PM

Re: Take Away

A take away is such a treat for me . Maybe once every 6 months or so . Yet to some it's normal every day life . I find this odd . Expensive and unhealthy in my view. Maybe the younger are into excercise so makes them fitter and stronger.

I love real food. Home made cooking . Good stuff . I also love a treat of a take away . I love McDonalds chips but havnt had them for years. Me thinks it's almost time for a beef chowmeon from the Chinese soon . Oooh now I'm excited
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 12:51 PM

its not what's in it, its the method of cooking, every Saturday Night, I have Thai Chicken, and a half portion of Fried rice, the Thai chicken has (obviously) got chicken, green peppers and chilis, onions, spices etc etc, none of which are unhealthy, but when I get on the scales Sunday morning, I have always put 0.3 of a kilo on over the previous morning, when we do our own curry, it has no impact on weight because the wife is fastidious in removing any hint of fat from the chicken and, using minimal cooking oils.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 12:56 PM

I doubt that a treat once a week would do much harm, but people do get hooked on takeaways!
You don't have to cook them, there is less washing up & many contain flavour enhancers that make you want more.
The real problem is that you don't know what has been added &, even if you are not allergic, some things are bad for your health. KFC were using transfats a couple of years ago & it has been proved that they can cause heart problems!

Although I am diabetic I can eat most things, but I want to know what they contain before I eat them. Apart from that, I much prefer freshly cooked food that I cook myself... but if I am not in the mood to cook, I will occasionally have a takeaway.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Its funny how once beef is formed into a compressed circular shape, onion and spices added, becomes unhealthy.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Its funny how once beef is formed into a compressed circular shape, onion and spices added, becomes unhealthy.
Isn’t it the cooking method that makes it unhealthy?
I never eat takeaways although I’ve indulged inside a McDonalds with a chicken burger and fries a couple of times when in London on holiday .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 04:34 PM

Hi

A lot of nonsense talked about takeaways and additives.

Indians can be very unhealthy due to high amounts of Ghee, which is clarified butter

Other Indian dishes, cooked dry, can be very healthy.

MSG is very common in parts of Asia where life expectancy is higher than in the UK.

It is made from Tapioca and is used as a flavour enhancer.

We tend to avoid vegetables, other countries eat a lot of them.

I do the vast majority of my own cooking, but a weekly takeaway is a treat, I just avoid the ones high in saturated fats.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A lot of nonsense talked about takeaways and additives.

Indians can be very unhealthy due to high amounts of Ghee, which is clarified butter

Other Indian dishes, cooked dry, can be very healthy.

MSG is very common in parts of Asia where life expectancy is higher than in the UK.

It is made from Tapioca and is used as a flavour enhancer.

We tend to avoid vegetables, other countries eat a lot of them.

I do the vast majority of my own cooking, but a weekly takeaway is a treat, I just avoid the ones high in saturated fats.
How informative, swimfeeders. I did not know that MSG came from natural food although some natural foods can be poisonous.
It s true, some of the meals are very tasty.

Matchu
Scarborough
Matchu is male  Matchu has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:24 PM

I miss posh-exotic takeaways - Turkish/Lebanese. Even the Kebab restaurant in Kingston [-on Thames], for example, or some of the middle eastern places on the Edgeware Road. And Tooting was great for takeaways.

Scarborough's a bit barren in that respect - here - all those Indian & Chinese still shovelling the 1973 menu, uck. However, best fish and chips in the world although adults ask for 'scraps' which must be a cultural difference? In the South only children request 'scraps'?

Almost as sinister as requesting cod, which I don't do any longer for fear of my life.

I just miss 1981 when the indian restaurant was the height of sophistication, costing half of father's wages...and when Italian restaurants were exciting.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
During Lockdown more takeaways and convenience food were ordered than before.
There does seem to be a good selection of food from different Countries.
I do not eat them as they do not agree with me, mainly due to added chemicals.

Some of my friends and families only eat so called Junk Food.
They only use the Microwave and never cook.
However all their childen look healthy and are taller than their parents, so does that means that there is some nutriton and vitamins in Junk food?

Can the body actually tell the difference?

My freind who is only allowed to eat only fresh food and muesli for breakfast, goes for a bike ride early each morning, and he really looks forward to occasionally going McDonalds for a big Fry Up.

SH..Don't tell his wife!

My first proper girlfriend was a bit of a health freak, so quite often, after driving her home, I would stop and get a Chinese on the way home, sometimes at midnight. Opening all the windows on the way home would get rid of the smell.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top