Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:18 PM

Bad water ???

I have some sort of bowel disease that my Gastrointestional doctor can not identify, even though he has done 2 colonoscopies, a camera into the stomach, and a camera pill that I swallowed which takes photos of my entire system. Lord knows how many stool samples I have given. All return negative.

In desperation, I am looking at everything, anything which might explain it. This has been going on for 9 years !!!

So, we all know that Mexican city water is not the best.
When I wash dishes, I use hot soapy water, but I must rinse them with more city water. I allow the dishes to drain and dry in the dish rack before I use them. Is drying the dishes enough to avoid any bacteria OR must I go through some other process to sanitize the dishes ???

Any advise gratefully received.
Thank you.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:25 PM

Re: Bad water ???

If you think it is the water then get the water tested, if that's even possible to do. See if some university can test it because no good getting the city water authority to test it because they will more than likely lie to you about the results.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have some sort of bowel disease that my Gastrointestional doctor can not identify, even though he has done 2 colonoscopies, a camera into the stomach, and a camera pill that I swallowed which takes photos of my entire system. Lord knows how many stool samples I have given. All return negative.

In desperation, I am looking at everything, anything which might explain it. This has been going on for 9 years !!!

So, we all know that Mexican city water is not the best.
When I wash dishes, I use hot soapy water, but I must rinse them with more city water. I allow the dishes to drain and dry in the dish rack before I use them. Is drying the dishes enough to avoid any bacteria OR must I go through some other process to sanitize the dishes ???

Any advise gratefully received.
Thank you.
Hi Bakerman, sorry to hear of your health problems. It must be so frustrating that they can't find what bothers your guts.

Do you use hot water from the tap or hot boiled water from the kettle? If from the tap, perhaps boiling your water first would be better?

I'm sorry not to be of help - I've no idea about the water supply in Mexico. Is the water that bad? How do other folk fare with it?
Can you buy any 'sanitising/disinfecting' (can't think of a suitable word) products to put into the water for washing the pots etc?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Hi Bakerman, sorry to hear of your health problems. It must be so frustrating that they can't find what bothers your guts.

Do you use hot water from the tap or hot boiled water from the kettle? If from the tap, perhaps boiling your water first would be better?

I'm sorry not to be of help - I've no idea about the water supply in Mexico. Is the water that bad? How do other folk fare with it?
Can you buy any 'sanitising/disinfecting' (can't think of a suitable word) products to put into the water for washing the pots etc?
If the bowel problem is being caused by the city tap water (NOBODY EVER DRINKS THE STUFF), then the problem must be caused by the rinsing after washing. The only thing I can think of is to make up a tub of bleached water and let the dishes stand for awhile, THEN drain and dry them.

Being in Mexico, it is always possible that the BOTTLED water I buy in 5 gallon jugs is also bad. Mighty curious that within a month of arriving here, I suddenly developed the runs.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:01 PM

Just a thought, are you taking any medication for stomach acid?
I was taking omeprazole which destroyed the bacteria in my stomach, had chronic diarrhoea for two years and loads of tests before it was found to be the problem.

Other than that I would boil all water before you use it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:32 PM

Another possibility, do you eat a lot of bread that is made with yeast?
My sister had the runs for 17 years and, like Tessa, it was caused by destroying the good bacteria in her stomach. Doctors didn't tell her this, a hospital dietician did and she put her on a yeast free,low sugar diet for 12 weeks. At the end of that period she was cured!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:54 PM

When you rinse your dishes pour a kettle of boiling water over them as a final rinse .
This will kill anything .
The problem is your American and used to eating sanitised food .
When I lived in out in the desert I met some older peace corp people with the same problem . In their case it was amoebic dysentery . They said you will get it you’ll see.
But years of living in third world countries must have hardened up our guts .
We had no problems .
bakerman
Mexico

09-07-2020, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Just a thought, are you taking any medication for stomach acid?
I was taking omeprazole which destroyed the bacteria in my stomach, had chronic diarrhoea for two years and loads of tests before it was found to be the problem.
Yes, as a matter of fact I was taking Omeprazole prior to the onset of the runs... 9 years ago.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Another possibility, do you eat a lot of bread that is made with yeast?
My sister had the runs for 17 years and, like Tessa, it was caused by destroying the good bacteria in her stomach. Doctors didn't tell her this, a hospital dietician did and she put her on a yeast free,low sugar diet for 12 weeks. At the end of that period she was cured!
Oh, yes. I eat tons of yeasted bread, much of it I make myself. Also a sugarholic. I don't drink alcohol but I love my Pepsi and chocolate.

Does anyone recommend any specific way to re-build my gut bacteria ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, as a matter of fact I was taking Omeprazole prior to the onset of the runs... 9 years ago.

Oh, yes. I eat tons of yeasted bread, much of it I make myself. Also a sugarholic. I don't drink alcohol but I love my Pepsi and chocolate.

Does anyone recommend any specific way to re-build my gut bacteria ?
My sister was instructed to eat no yeast at all for 12 weeks..& that isn't easy so read the labels on everything & don't but if you see the word "yeast"! Irish Sour dough bread can help but I doubt you can buy it there. You could look up recipes & make your own though.
She also had a sweet tooth, but had to cut out the sugar for the 12 weeks.
She had 2 Yakults a day over this period, as they help increase the good bacteria. Not sure if you can get them there, but surely they have different makes that increase the good bacteria.
If you don't try to change your eating habits you will never restore the balance of good & bad bacteira!
Also look on the internet as it may help you find products & diets that can help you !
try this..how can I increase the good bacteria in my gut?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
My sister was instructed to eat no yeast at all for 12 weeks..& that isn't easy so read the labels on everything & don't but if you see the word "yeast"! Irish Sour dough bread can help but I doubt you can buy it there. You could look up recipes & make your own though.
She also had a sweet tooth, but had to cut out the sugar for the 12 weeks.
She had 2 Yakults a day over this period, as they help increase the good bacteria. Not sure if you can get them there, but surely they have different makes that increase the good bacteria.
If you don't try to change your eating habits you will never restore the balance of good & bad bacteira!
Also look on the internet as it may help you find products & diets that can help you !
try this..how can I increase the good bacteria in my gut?

Bakerman, get yourself a good ProBiotic and take it each day.
If your 'good bacteria' has been destroyed for whatever reason, you need to replace it.
That's where ProBiotics come in.
That could be all you need.

If it was the water, wouldn't everybody else be affected, too?

If I have ever been on antibiotics, I always take ProBiotics afterwards to replace the good bugs that we need.
I do the same with the dogs too, they also have probiotics after antibiotics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top