Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:27 PM

Toe rag

I have just learned the origin of this expression .

It’s actually Tow rag

Look away now if you are of delicate sensibilities.

In days of yore on ships the loos were a bit basic .

Ie you hung precariously over the edge or used a bucket .

Then they progressed to the heads - the front of the ship ( this is very important ) -the wind for obvious reasons must come from the back of the ship or else .

So the heads were sort of planks with little sit on boxes at the front of the ship which were straight over the sea.

A rag was attached to a tow rope which one pulled up and used and then let go in the sea to self clean for the next person .

This was called the tow- rag and is still used to today as a derogatory term .

Well you learn something new every day !
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:29 PM

Re: Toe rag

Fascinating Muddy. One to bring up during a conversation over the dinner table (not joking either!)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:23 AM

I wonder if the Rag had a Puppy embossed on it?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 09:37 AM

I am surprised at that explanation Muddy, because I have always thought it something to do the street shoe shine men.

But here is yet another explanation of the term too, so take your pick.

"Toe rag is a prime example. It comes from a time when men wore stockings instead of socks, and is used as an insult, to describe someone who is the lowest of the low.

The toe rag, from which the term comes, was an item of clothing worn by men who were either too poor to afford stockings, or were criminals. They would wrap their feet up in scraps of cloth, which, unwashed, would end up in a very poor state indeed. It’s a relatively common situation among the homeless even today.

The first recorded use is in Experiences of a Convict, an 1864 book by J F Mortlock in which he says: “Stockings being unknown, some luxurious men wrapped round their feet a piece of old shirting, called, in language more expressive than elegant, a ‘toe-rag’”

You choose.

(And then there is always the charming ' snot rag ' too, but I don't think we need to go there. )
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Love it. Got any more?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Love it. Got any more?
Loads online. Found this quiz

Scored the princely total of 2 correct
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I wonder if the Rag had a Puppy embossed on it?
Could have actually been a puppy? Excreta dosn't stick to their fur in the case of most breeds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Could have actually been a puppy? Excreta dosn't stick to their fur in the case of most breeds.

Dirty boy!

Ever seen a dog that's rolled in fox poo, Todger?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->

I got 5 right.

I often play the quizes on Fun Trivia. Tend to go for the book questions.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->

I managed to get 3 correct answers ...... by pure luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top