Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:42 PM

Re: Benefit Cheats..

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Trust me, with a good lawyer and a good accountant a person would need to be exceptionally silly or have broken the 11th. commandment to even appear in front of a judge let alone get banged up.
But many tax avoiders have been found guilty of evasion!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
But many tax avoiders have been found guilty of evasion!
Quite possibly hence the need for a good accountant and if push comes to push a good lawyer. In any case tax avoidance is 100% legal.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I have a friend who's receiving pension credits and I know she's a lot better off than me financially & yet I don't qualify!!

She's a bit evasive about how she got it but reading between the lines I think she took quite a lot of money out of her bank account & saved it elsewhere - maybe one of her kids have banked it for her.

I am inwardly quite resentful about this but would never report her. I try not to think about it but it's hard when she goes on about it!!
You mentioned this previously and so now have found out you don’t qualify?
How foolish of her to impart that knowledge to you her friend so that now you’re resentful .
You wouldn’t be able to “report” her , there isn’t any way the department paying her would take notice of what you thought she’d done to get PC .
My way would be to tackle her in this kind of way if she goes on about it .....
“ didn’t you say though you’d given your family a lot of your savings, I thought that wasn’t allowed ? “
It might not get a result but at least you’ll have got rid of your resentment .
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
There may be a significant number but they are a very small percentage of claimants:

https://femavis.herokuapp.com/index.html

Fraud and Error in the Benefit System

Of course I would, as I would tax-evaders .....

Remember Panorama a few years did something on this…. Their estimation of Fraud and Error claims were put at over £20 billion then… which then were something like ten times more than the government figures

But That £4-6 billion is not an estimate, but a figure of £2-6 billion is proven fraud, £1-1billion claimant error with £800 K official error.

The truth is no one knows how many haven’t been caught and still today claim benefits they shouldn’t, but we know such people exist.

Which must mean that 2-4% figure is wrong… But by how much ?

I guess people from different areas will have different opinions, on how many claimants are
on the fiddle.

Personally from what I see a hear around here, and told that only a fraction of reports get followed up …… I still could only guess, but it be a lot higher .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 02:01 PM

I'd report them instantly.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
What if criminal broke into your into your house?
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

I'm sure I was told, most who report benefit cheats want to remain anonymous.

But if the allegations look like going to court, the person who made the allegation can not remain anonymous.

As usually the accuser and accused often live in the same nieghbourhood, or are known to each other, the accuser will withdraw the allegation.

Or go to court and get your windows smashed I guess.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Some of these benefits cheats are experts in their chosen career.

I remember years ago, a lad in my class when I was asking - quite innocently - what their dads did as a job. One lad came out with the immortal word, "nowt". Obviously, I said no more.

Afterwards, though, it transpired that everyone knew about that family and, more to the point, that although neither parent worked they seemed to be able to afford a car and all sorts of things that most people in the area would dream to possess!

Did I report it? Not on your life, especially as I had been enquiring about pupils' dads' work (I think it might have been as a means of discussing possible lines of work the kids could be thinking about later, after leaving school).

No, there are experts in the field believe you me!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Would I report a benefit cheat?

Difficult one, because ... I would only know about their financial circumstances if they told me, report them and I feel I'd be betraying their confidence.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 06:14 PM

Hi

I would, I have done, but it is a waste of time.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top