Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Re: Nematodes?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No one loves a slug
Im not sure of that Muddy, they seem able to breed ok?
Donkeyman!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There are thousands of slugs in our gardens. I have reduced mine considerably over the years by collecting them in a bucket by torchlight and taking them down the lane and leaving them as a treat for the birds.

I think it is snails that make their way back to a garden rather than slugs, the slugs I remove would find it difficult to return there are quite a number of barriers in the way.

When I first started collecting them (warm damp nights are the best) I was picking up quarter of a half a bucket some nights, now I am down to half a dozen.
That's what I have been doing with them Meg and I also put net on everything but they still win in the end. The snails must spend all day procreating because they can triple overnight.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's what I have been doing with them Meg and I also put net on everything but they still win in the end. The snails must spend all day procreating because they can triple overnight.
You mean to say you stay up all night with a torch to watch oversexed
snails copulating Annie??
Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 04:47 PM

Hi Annie, I tried Nematodes last year, but not for slugs, only for Vine Weevals. I experimented with them because I am very cautious about using any chemicals near my dogs.

I followed the instructions exactly. Made sure I got the dilution right, made sure the air temperature was right etc, but unfortunately later in the year, I found the blessed weevals had still killed one of my Azaelas in a tub, so I was very disappointed.

I did have a dreadful problem with slugs eating my newly set out Dahlias last spring, so I sprinkled loads of thick grit and bark chippings around the plant stems to deter the blighters from sliding over to the young stems.

Some still made it though, so in the end I had to make myself go out every night after dark with a torch and pick them off, and dropped them into a jar of salt water. When they were dead, I disposed of them in my compost bin.
Not a pleasant ending for them I know, but I couldn't crush them or cut them, so that is what I had to do. I am not spending good money on plants, or time and energy growing things, just to feed the slugs!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

27-12-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hi Annie, I tried Nematodes last year, but not for slugs, only for Vine Weevals. I experimented with them because I am very cautious about using any chemicals near my dogs.

I followed the instructions exactly. Made sure I got the dilution right, made sure the air temperature was right etc, but unfortunately later in the year, I found the blessed weevals had still killed one of my Azaelas in a tub, so I was very disappointed.

I did have a dreadful problem with slugs eating my newly set out Dahlias last spring, so I sprinkled loads of thick grit and bark chippings around the plant stems to deter the blighters from sliding over to the young stems.

Some still made it though, so in the end I had to make myself go out every night after dark with a torch and pick them off, and dropped them into a jar of salt water. When they were dead, I disposed of them in my compost bin.
Not a pleasant ending for them I know, but I couldn't crush them or cut them, so that is what I had to do. I am not spending good money on plants, or time and energy growing things, just to feed the slugs!

Good on yer Mups! Instead of hand picking them try a couple of
dishes ot beer overnight, set flush to the soil, and collect the
unconcious drunkards in the morning, so preserving your beauty
sleep?
Dont misunderstand me, the beer is for the snails/slugs etc NOT
for you! and l find stout works best!
Donkeyman!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
sleep?
Donkeyman!

I daren't do that either, Donkeyman, else I would probably have drunken dogs ! The blighters would probably drink it - and swallow the slugs at the same time.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

27-12-2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I daren't do that either, Donkeyman, else I would probably have drunken dogs ! The blighters would probably drink it - and swallow the slugs at the same time.
Problem solved Mups, and no chemicals involved!!
We have sheep dogs, guide dogs, rescue dogs sniffer dogs etc why
not SS dogs,( snail & slug ) ?
Donkeyman!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2019, 11:02 PM

sleep?
Donkeyman!
I tried that a couple of years ago. The problem is that it basically attracts every slug in town to your garden and there isn't enough beer and enough room so the rest feast on your veg!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-12-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I tried that a couple of years ago. The problem is that it basically attracts every slug in town to your garden and there isn't enough beer and enough room so the rest feast on your veg!

Word gets round the Bar is open, Annie, that's the trouble.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-12-2019, 11:20 PM

Problem solved Mups, and no chemicals involved!!
We have sheep dogs, guide dogs, rescue dogs sniffer dogs etc why
not SS dogs,( snail & slug ) ?
Donkeyman!

Alas no again, Donkeyman.

Dogs can Lungworm from slugs and snail larvae, so I think we'd better scrub that idea too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top