Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Re: Pharaoh khafre

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As it happens I am going to London next week to visit the Tutankamun exhibition which is on until May, after which the artefacts will be transferred to the newly built Egyptian museum at Cairo, and are said to be never to leave the country again..
Enjoy yourself Barry. Lord knows what the crowds will be like.

Re: The new museum of antiquities, located on the Giza Plateau only 2 Km from the Great Pyramid. I am most upset with the design. Modern art. Ba Humbug
Photo of completed museum. Grrr. A modern art building to house some of the oldest art in the world ? Have they completely lost their minds ? Click image for larger version

Name:	grand-egyptian-museum-day-exterior.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	11469 .

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 11:27 AM

I have been lucky enough to see the statue of Khafre Bakerman and as you say, it is truly impressive how they managed to get it so smooth using their primitive tools.

Another really impressive statue is Ramses ll at Memphis.

bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=Longdogs;1846231]I have been lucky enough to see the statue of Khafre Bakerman and as you say, it is truly impressive how they managed to get it so smooth using their primitive tools.

Yes, Long dogs. I also was there in Memphis and saw that statue. Magnificent! Awe inspiring.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	236
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	11470  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=bakerman;1846238]
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have been lucky enough to see the statue of Khafre Bakerman and as you say, it is truly impressive how they managed to get it so smooth using their primitive tools.

Yes, Long dogs. I also was there in Memphis and saw that statue. Magnificent!
Attachment 11470
I seem to remember it was a bit warm there.
bakerman
Mexico

22-01-2020, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Longdogs;1846239]
Originally Posted by bakerman ->

I seem to remember it was a bit warm there.
Not for me. I had just come from living in The Philippines AND it was also March. Only slightly warm. The trip to Egypt was my 61st birthday present to myself.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-01-2020, 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=bakerman;1846242]
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Not for me. I had just come from living in The Philippines AND it was also March. Only slightly warm. The trip to Egypt was my 61st birthday present to myself.
Ah, it was certainly a shock for us cold Brits.
bakerman
Mexico

22-01-2020, 11:55 AM

Longdogs,
Perchance did you happen to go all the way up inside of the Great Pyramid of Khufu , thru the Grand gallery and into the burial chamber ?
I got a bit of claustrophobia and had to take a valium before continuing all the way. The air inside was way too "close" for me.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 02:51 PM

While touring Egypt, I spent several days inside the Museum of Antiquities. I never book a tour as I hate being herded around like a sheep and I would not get to spend the time I want examining monuments and museums.

Thus, upon entering room 37 in that museum, I was struck dumb by the life-sized statue of Pharaoh Khafre which is made of black and grey diorite... the 2nd hardest material known to man. Only diamonds are harder.

I could not tear myself away from that magnificent statue. After walking around it several times I propped myself against a wall and spread my Egyptian history books before me.

Even though I knew full well that I might get in trouble if I touched the statute, I could not help myself. It was as smooth as a mirror. How were the ancient Egyptians able to make that statue of diorite so smooth ?

Realy beautiful statue Bakerman!!
Regarding the polish, is it possible it was polished by means of a
slurry of mud or fine grits of a softer material being repeatedly
rubbed over the surface?
It is common practice to use a softer material to cut or polish harder
materials in engineering?
Donkeyman!
bakerman
Mexico

22-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Realy beautiful statue Bakerman!!
Regarding the polish, is it possible it was polished by means of a
slurry of mud or fine grits of a softer material being repeatedly
rubbed over the surface?
It is common practice to use a softer material to cut or polish harder
materials in engineering?
Donkeyman!

Yes, that is certainly possible. I had been considering that they used sand, but I like your idea better. Perhaps a series of finer and finer grits ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 04:36 PM

Enjoy yourself Barry. Lord knows what the crowds will be like.

Re: The new museum of antiquities, located on the Giza Plateau only 2 Km from the Great Pyramid. I am most upset with the design. Modern art. Ba Humbug
Photo of completed museum. Grrr. A modern art building to house some of the oldest art in the world ? Have they completely lost their minds ? Attachment 11469 .
There are timed entrance tickets and then airport style security to go through so yes, it may end up being a pain but I hope not...

Regarding the new museum, I quite like the idea of the ultra modern housing the ultra old, but then again I like modern radical architecture anyway, so to each his own I guess.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top