Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Re: I give up

I'm certainly not panicking in any shape or form. I mean, we run out of food daily let alone having enough for two weeks. What I don't get though is why whole Cities in Italy are on 'Lockdown' ( I hate that word). Is there something we are not being told I wonder?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm certainly not panicking in any shape or form. I mean, we run out of food daily let alone having enough for two weeks. What I don't get though is why whole Cities in Italy are on 'Lockdown' ( I hate that word). Is there something we are not being told I wonder?
If you look at Bruce's daily stats LD I've noticed that the numbers infected are high and the numbers recovered are low and this is now the third month. So it can take a long time to get rid of the illness. This means that without controls the whole country could end up at a standstill for weeks rather than one region. I think they mentioned this recently as a worst case scenario here. 20% of the population out of action. Without adequate care the death rate is far higher, if carers go sick then it's a nightmare.

I don't think anyone is an expert on this illness as yet. There are experts on infection control and epidemiology giving reports on the news and radio. But they are just as baffled because we don't yet know enough. There was one scientist yesterday saying that it is not indicated that the virus is mutating fast so that is a ray of hope. Common sense is all we have.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Northern Italy quarantines 16 million people...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51787238

My brother and family live in the Lombardy area. There are about 6 or 7 people infected in his area but only 1 of them is ill, the others didn’t have any symptoms apart from testing positive.

In their area everything is closed and only supermarkets are open at weekends. Fortunately they live up in the mountains away from the big cities.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have a number of Experts on this site,

I listen and learn from them

Dogs, cats, electrics, gas, General DIY, Photography Cooking etc.

Life is so much better for the knowledge that they share.

Coronovirus is so very much different.

Loads of absolutely wrong and stupid posts made.

Yet people believe them.

How stupid is that?
Oh please don't give up. I don't often reply to your posts but you are one of the few I rely on for down right common sense.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

My brother and family live in the Lombardy area. There are about 6 or 7 people infected in his area but only 1 of them is ill, the others didn’t have any symptoms apart from testing positive.

In their area everything is closed and only supermarkets are open at weekends. Fortunately they live up in the mountains away from the big cities.
People in such areas are already very self sufficient and prepared. But very difficult if you can't even go to the local market. I do hope your family stays safe & healthy Mags.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 03:34 PM

I am somewhat worried about Mrs mart. She has the most awful sounding cough. The sort that people who smoke 50 cigarettes a day get (she doesn't smoke). This has been going on since last August, so isn't the Coronavirus.

She has a hospital appointment next week to get the results of tests and hopefully, some respite from this dreadful rasping cough. The worry is that we've got to get there on the bus (parking in the hospital is hopeless) and then sit in the waiting room until seen.

If you were sitting near anyone with a cough like this, you'd be worried wouldn't you? It's a fact that we're going to feel very uncomfortable during the entire outing. Short of putting a notice on her saying that the cough has been going on for months, I suppose we'll just have to try not to talk (brings the cough on) and make sure she coughs into a handkerchief. Even though this isn't the virus, people are sure going to think it is. I expect she'll be tested for it anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I am somewhat worried about Mrs mart. She has the most awful sounding cough. The sort that people who smoke 50 cigarettes a day get (she doesn't smoke). This has been going on since last August, so isn't the Coronavirus.

She has a hospital appointment next week to get the results of tests and hopefully, some respite from this dreadful rasping cough. The worry is that we've got to get there on the bus (parking in the hospital is hopeless) and then sit in the waiting room until seen.

If you were sitting near anyone with a cough like this, you'd be worried wouldn't you? It's a fact that we're going to feel very uncomfortable during the entire outing. Short of putting a notice on her saying that the cough has been going on for months, I suppose we'll just have to try not to talk (brings the cough on) and make sure she coughs into a handkerchief. Even though this isn't the virus, people are sure going to think it is. I expect she'll be tested for it anyway.
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If you look at Bruce's daily stats LD I've noticed that the numbers infected are high and the numbers recovered are low and this is now the third month. So it can take a long time to get rid of the illness. This means that without controls the whole country could end up at a standstill for weeks rather than one region. I think they mentioned this recently as a worst case scenario here. 20% of the population out of action. Without adequate care the death rate is far higher, if carers go sick then it's a nightmare.

I don't think anyone is an expert on this illness as yet. There are experts on infection control and epidemiology giving reports on the news and radio. But they are just as baffled because we don't yet know enough. There was one scientist yesterday saying that it is not indicated that the virus is mutating fast so that is a ray of hope. Common sense is all we have.
Yes, I see that now Annie, in that it's better to slow it down while they look for a vaccine. It's more about the numbers of people going off sick all at once rather than the danger.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-03-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

I'm glad to hear your brother and his family are okay Mags. must be a worry for them though with children.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-03-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->

I hope all goes well for Mrs Mart.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-03-2020, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by lion queen ->
give up reading the thread swimmy if you are getting annoyed. Obviously none of us are experts in this field and that includes you. This is a discussion forum and it's not very nice of you to go saying people are stupid on here. People are worried and rightly so, when 16 million people in italy are on lock down and world leaders are addressing this virus it tells me something is very wrong.

Be as blasé as you like about this but don't condemn others for havi g fears

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top