Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 08:23 PM

Re: When they say 'self-isolate'....

Nope, you're not been paranoid.

I get it that for the greater good, in the longterm, a natural herd immunity is best .... but to achieve that it seems to mean that suffering is increased, the casualty list is increased and the toll on the most vulnerable members of society is .... you've guessed ...... increased.

I understand that for people with heart conditions the Chinese are claiming the death rate is as high at 10%.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I wonder now if it is a case of the Government and medical experts making the decision to let us all become infected and us old Crusties with our health problems chosen as sacrificial lambs in order that the rest of society can build up immunity to the virus.

Or is that just me and my wild conspiracy theory? I wish I knew, but then again, maybe it's best not to.
I've just read an ITV News item about 'herd immunity'. I can see how it would be expected to work but how many older, vulnerable people would be expected to suffer as a result?

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-13/...t-coronavirus/
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 08:41 PM

To suggest it's ideal for 40 million Brits to get infected sounds either Frankensteinian madness (is that a word?) or a rather cavalier attitude to people's welfare.

Do you ever feel that you're just a statistic.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 08:43 PM

I guess a lot of us will get it eventually, we can't not, as we have to carry on regardless, going out & doing things.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 09:09 PM

Oh well, HWMO made me laugh anyway. As I was waiting for him to get some 'Pink Poop Bags' out of the dog's cupboard to take the pooches for their evening walk, he put one of them over his chin and nose with the handles around his ears to look like a mask and handed me one to put on with the words, Ready old Girl? Bless him, I was in stitches.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I wonder now if it is a case of the Government and medical experts making the decision to let us all become infected and us old Crusties with our health problems chosen as sacrificial lambs in order that the rest of society can build up immunity to the virus.

Or is that just me and my wild conspiracy theory? I wish I knew, but then again, maybe it's best not to.
The virus is highly infectious, so everybody will get it, in the end. The measures of the government(s) are intended to make the increase in numbers managable by the hospitals and the rest of the health care system.
That a number of casualties will occur is a sad fact. In this case it is the old, the flu of 2018/19 hit the young ones harder.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I shall hide my disbelieving piggy face then ..... has it been proven as fact yet that people cannot become reinfected again once they've had it?
There are three reported cases of re-infection (in china). This is not uncommonly in viruses. The corona virus, just as the influenza and many other viruses, can mutate. The immunity against the mutated strain is (much) lower or non existent, so you can get reinfected.
That is why a form of influenza recurs every year. The returning virus is a mutated bug of one of the earlier forms of previous years.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top