Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:23 PM

Re: Keeping Busy in Isolation

My life will be unchanged. I can't isolate myself because I live on my own and therefore have no alternative but to get out and about simply to get through normal daily life and to visit my mother twice a week to see if she's ok. I have to use public transport to get around, so good luck trying to isolate myself, eh! As long as the gym remains open I'll be using that three times a week, too.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I feel so sorry for those who can't get about too well, it must create so many problems for you.
I would gladly help if I was your neighbour.
I'm glad there's still some kind hearted people left in the world, but if govt tells all elderly and vulnerable to self isolate you wouldn't be able to go next door to help without risking passing something on?

I wonder how people who usually have a carer come in to help will cope if their carers can't get there to help them get out of bed or get something to eat?

I'm thankful I can still at least manage to drag myself out of bed even if its just to get in the wheelchair to get to the loo and back to bed when I need to go!

I've crawled along the floor before now to get to the back door to let the dog out, then crawled back to bed. (Thankfully I live in a bungalow with a patio door in the bedroom straight into the garden!) I know many others aren't fortunate enough to live in a specially designed property. I don't think I'd manage to be so independant if I wasn't
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:41 PM

My daughter was talking about this today. She said if it comes to the point when we will have to stay indoors due to our age risk with this virus, she will do all our shopping for us. She says if we run out of food, she has plenty at her house if there is anything we desperately need. It's very reassuring for her to say that but I hate putting on other people having to do things for me. I know she has our interests at heart and I wouldn't hurt her feelings so I would succumb to her wishes.

What would we do indoors? Apart from the general house chores, we have several jigsaws, scrabble game, DVD's, Indoor Quoits, so I'm sure we could fill our time.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:06 AM

Care workers, doctors and nurses, etc., are just as vulnerable as everyone else, of course. If all the "sky is falling" predictions come true, the care and health sectors will collapse under the strain. Heaven help isolated and vulnerable people if that happens. IF.

I think the media is just scaring people to sell newspapers and fill never-ending news programmes with speculation and badly-understood "facts" every time they find an "expert" nobody has ever heard of. There have been various pandemics over the years such as 1918 - 20 "Spanish Flu", 1957-58 "Asian flu", 1968-69 "Hong Kong flu", 1977–1978 "Russian Flu", 1997 "Bird flu", 2009 "Swine flu" and now this new one. Only Spanish Flu killed millions because modern medicines and health care were obviously unknown and because of population movements and troop movements during WWI and the resulting food shortages, poor living conditions and terrible sanitation.

I'm not saying we should take COVID-19 lightly, but lets get a grip on reality here and stop gibbering in panic at every pronouncement in the media. From what I've seen a lot of the people who have died have very often been reported as having "underlying conditions" as well. If ever there was a need for "Keep calm and carry on posters" it's right about now.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:07 AM

I'd spend more time on my computer. Read more. Watch more TV. I'd natter on the telephone..

For exercise I've got a room full of exercise equipment that I call my gym - so I'd use it more. Oh and get out in the garden - lots to do out there...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:26 AM

I can always find plenty to do when I feel well. I have a garden fence to paint, curtains to wash, spring cleaning and lots of cooking . And there is always reading and websites.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I feel so sorry for those who can't get about too well, it must create so many problems for you.
I would gladly help if I was your neighbour.
Mups I’d welcome your help .
I don’t have helpful neighbours unfortunately .
If it was the other way round I’d be knocking on their doors to ask if they needed anything .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Mups I’d welcome your help .
I don’t have helpful neighbours unfortunately .
If it was the other way round I’d be knocking on their doors to ask if they needed anything .
That's such a shame Zuleika, everyone should pull together at times like this and give help those who need it.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 01:13 AM

Swine flu was a pandemic, and world wide around 700 million–1.4 billion people contracted the illness , so why is this so much worse ? I really don't remember hiding away in 2009, or even thinking about it much.
We went about our business , into work, shopping, no masks, no hand gels, just basic cleanliness .
I am beginning to feel a bit paranoid now, but is that due to the magnitude of the coverage, and another example of how we can be brainwashed so easily and forced to change our pattern of behaviour if the same thing is repeated over and over ?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I can always find plenty to do when I feel well. I have a garden fence to paint, curtains to wash, spring cleaning and lots of cooking . And there is always reading and websites.
Yes, and there is always youtube. Just fill in the search bar and you can find thousands of videos on any subject imaginable.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top