Join for free
Jaded
South yorkshire
Jaded is male  Jaded has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 11:32 AM

Copd

Anyone else suffer with this?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 11:40 AM

Re: Copd

Originally Posted by Jaded ->
Anyone else suffer with this?
I have Copd but I'm in early stages. My chest is weak and I tend to get chest infections more frequently.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 12:03 PM

Yes, I do have it and it has been with me since diagnosis in 2000. I deal with it reasonably well aided by a nebuliser when needed (salbutamol + saline) and a maintenance routine from a low dose steroid inhaler. I also have an oxygen concentrator for period when I suffer with a cold etc and my doc reckons I cope splendidly well.
As for chest infections; as I have proved my ability to distinguish between a bug and a virus, my doc lets me keep antibiotic capsules ready for such time that a bug lodges in my air ways. By doing this my doc keeps me away from the surgery and possibly spreading bugs around the surgery from me visiting with an infection for treatment. So long as I let the surgery know when I enter a self treat mode with anti-b's, they are content to allow me to continue along the self treat path.
Jaded
South yorkshire
Jaded is male  Jaded has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 12:43 PM

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago and manage it fairly well . I’ve had a few hospital visits through it but now it’s under control with inhalers I’ve had less relapses .
Jaded
South yorkshire

13-03-2020, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I have Copd but I'm in early stages. My chest is weak and I tend to get chest infections more frequently.
Chest infection rate is reduced if you find the right meds @lion Queen
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 02:06 PM

Yes I have it as well as Asthma, I have two inhalers for the COPD.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Yes I have it as well as Asthma, I have two inhalers for the COPD.
Me too .
I use Seretide mainly which suits me well also I do daily breathing exercises while walking in the fresh air and Diaphragmatic breathing indoors, this has done wonders for my peak flow.

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago following a 3 year nightmare of continuous chest infections culminating in contracting Pseudomonas.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 07:08 PM

I've got it, probably had it for years but was only officially diagnosed in October 2018 (was in denial up til then, I didn't want to know).

I use 2 inhalers, Spiriva which is a preventer that I use every day even if I'm well, and Ventolin which is the blue one for instant relief. I generally take 1 puff of Ventolin in the morning before taking my dog out as that's when I experience most symptoms, the change from warm air to cold, sudden physical exertion and walking uphill a bit.

I had a COPD check yesterday, the nurse repeated the tests as she thought her machine was broken due to the massive improvement of my overall lung function. I had around 50% lung function 18 months ago, now it's estimated to be over 80%. I attribute this improvement to finally giving up the fags last July.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top