Join for free
Bocephus
Canada
Bocephus is male 

14-03-2020, 05:43 PM

Painkiller Prescriptions And ER Usage

Hi All.

I was just curious to know what the opiate prescription and ER guidelines are like where you all live. Where I live, my family doctor hates giving them out. The ER at our hospital is also really hesitant to give them out. My niece's husband hurt his neck quite bad after being rear-ended by another car. He was in a lot of pain, and still the hospital only gave him high dose Advil.

Are the opiates hard to get where you live?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 06:05 PM

Re: Painkiller Prescriptions And ER Usage

Originally Posted by Bocephus ->
Hi All.

I was just curious to know what the opiate prescription and ER guidelines are like where you all live. Where I live, my family doctor hates giving them out. The ER at our hospital is also really hesitant to give them out. My niece's husband hurt his neck quite bad after being rear-ended by another car. He was in a lot of pain, and still the hospital only gave him high dose Advil.

I have dihydrocodeine 30mg on my repeat list and all I have to do is tick the box and my local pharmacy delivers them exactly 7 days later. At each annual review, my doc always reissues my repeat sheet again for another year. For me at least, it really is that simple.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2020, 05:15 PM

I had a kidney stone (renal colic) last December and my Doc prescribed 100 co-codamol for the pain. I still have 92 tablets left which I must remember to take back to the pharmacy for disposal.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bocephus ->
Hi All.

After my knee replacement operation pain persisted. I'm now on 4 times 1.000 mg tylenol per day and if pain is too strong I can use tramadol. Tylenol is an over the counter here, but tramadol is on prescription only. Every three months I get 30 capsules, to be taken on my own consideration.
Because of a heart condition I am on anti coaggulants so use of a NSAID (like advil = ibuprofen)for pain is ruled out. Otherwise the GP wouldn't prescibe tramadol.

I think the GP is duly loath to prescibe codeine or tramadol. They are opium agonists, so you can get addicted to them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 01:44 AM

I have oxynorm which is a opiate, it has a "Controlled Drug" label on the box and I carry a doctors letter when I travel overseas. You cannot get a repeat prescription but have to attend the GP's surgery each time to get a renewed prescription.. I have no trouble getting them prescribed as my doctor knows my history.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	OxyNorm Capsules.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	11911  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top