Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 02:59 PM

Covid19 & ibuprofen

Does everyone know about the warning not to take Ibuprofen if you think you have symptoms (or give it to kids with symptoms)?

I'll just copy this here just in case someone has missed and was thinking of using it if they got it:

IBUPROFEN and other anti-inflammatory drugs can increase the risk for people with infectious diseases, like Covid-19.

They can interfere with how the body's immune system responds.

Experts advise people to take paracetamol instead.

Earlier this week, French ministers advised against taking ibuprofen, warning it could make your condition worse.

Prof Paul Little, from the University of Southampton, responded to the warning adding there is "sizeable" evidence that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can increase the risk of serious complications.

Prof Ian Jones, a virologist at the University of Reading, added: "The advice relates to ibuprofen's anti-inflammatory properties, that is, it dampens down the immune system, which may slow the recovery process."

He explained that based on the evidence around SARS - which is similar to Covid-19 - the virus reduces a key enzyme in the body that helps to regulate the water and salt concentration in the blood, and is thought to be part of the pneumonia seen in extreme cases.

"Ibuprofen aggravates this while paracetamol does not," he said.

"It is recommended that people use paracetamol to reduce temperature if you are feverish

END OF QUOTE
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 04:56 PM

Re: Covid19 & ibuprofen

Thanks for that Susan and can I remind everyone that you are limited to buying just 2 packets of 16 paracetamol tablets/visit to a shop or pharmacy. This is because of their known use in suicide attempts.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:20 PM

As a regular user of Ibuprofen (for my poorly toe) I'm glad you posted that Susan.....
It's strange that Tesco, Boots, Superdrug, and many other shops that sell 200mg coated tablets of Ibuprofen had empty shelves....I wonder if it was removed on purpose and not sold out..?....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:24 PM

There was a lady on the telly this morning saying about not using Ibruprofen, Susan.

I suppose now the locusts will strip the shelves of Paracetamol before we can blink.
They may only be allowed 2 packets as Percy has said, but they can go in every day for 2 more, or send other family members in for another 2.

I don't see how these greedy people can be stopped.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Thanks for that Susan and can I remind everyone that you are limited to buying just 2 packets of 16 paracetamol tablets/visit to a shop or pharmacy. This is because of their known use in suicide attempts.
If you can find any that is, none in any of the shops I visited this afternoon, but I did get eggs eventually.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There was a lady on the telly this morning saying about not using Ibruprofen, Susan.

I suppose now the locusts will strip the shelves of Paracetamol before we can blink.
They may only be allowed 2 packets as Percy has said, but they can go in every day for 2 more, or send other family members in for another 2.

I don't see how these greedy people can be stopped.
Govt rationing????

I don't watch telly in morning, usually busy sorting Jess out and trying to get any housework done before I get too tired..lol

Just turned telly on now at 4pm to watch Boris's update.
Susan68
Up North, UK

17-03-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
If you can find any that is, none in any of the shops I visited this afternoon, but I did get eggs eventually.
EGGS!! I forgot to add eggs to my shopping! ...thanks for the reminder now to see if I can actually get any..lol!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:43 PM

How come there are no eggs in the supermarkets?
Anyone know why?

I had heard that tonic water is getting scarce after some fake news that the quinine in it stops coronavirus in it's tracks.

Both ibuprofen and paracetamol have been stripped from the shelves in my local supermarket for days.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
How come there are no eggs in the supermarkets?
Anyone know why?

I had heard that tonic water is getting scarce after some fake news that the quinine in it stops coronavirus in it's tracks.

Both ibuprofen and paracetamol have been stripped from the shelves in my local supermarket for days.
Hens are self Isolating Morty.....
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 05:53 PM

My daughter-in-law, who is on drugs for severe arthritis, has just been advised by her doctor to self-isolate for fourteen days and to come off her NSAID medication to allow her immune system to build up. As an aside, it means today will be our wee granddaughter's last day at school for a wee while.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top