Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 12:44 AM

March jobs in the garden

Has anyone started their Dahlias off yet?
I really like these, so many types and colours to choose from.

I have bought several from Sarah Raven, she has some beauties if you're interested in these flowers.

https://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/bulbs/dahlias

Do you leave yours in the ground to overwinter, or lift the tubers to dry out and store?

What about tomato plants - do you grow from seed or buy ready plants?

I have noticed weeds growing well, inspite of wet and cold.
So much to do very soon now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 01:40 AM

Re: March jobs in the garden

I can’t grow Dahlias Mups because they are a favourite of the slugs here .
As I haven’t a greenhouse I will buy tomato plants this year. I though of making hanging baskets using tumbling toms.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 05:39 AM

Hi

Just started on the big clean up, lost a lot this winter due to the garden being under water for so long.

I am concentrating on expanding my veg this year.

I have a polytunnel so have got seeds for my tomatoes.and courgettes.

The lawn is still far too wet to cut.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 07:21 AM

I have such a tiny garden so I don't grow anything from seed....tomatoes in hanging baskets sound good I might have a go at that.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I can’t grow Dahlias Mups because they are a favourite of the slugs here .
As I haven’t a greenhouse I will buy tomato plants this year. I though of making hanging baskets using tumbling toms.
You can grow Dahlias in containers Muddy. I do. As long as the tubers are around six inches deep which means quite large containers of course. I always mulch over them at the end of the year and they usually survive but I am quite a long way south which means milder weather...sometimes!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 04:29 PM

I grow some of my Dahlia's in tubs too, EZ.
Tell me, do you tip them out and use fresh compost again each spring?

Yesterday I put an order in to my local garden centre for some bags of multi purpose, some ericaceous, and some John Innes no. 3, along with some grit and grit sand.
They make their own multi purpose, and it's really good.

It was free delivery for that amount, and they are coming on Friday.
That'll save me struggling to lug that lot about this year.

Tonight I must sit and go through all my seed packets and sort out what to keep and what to chuck out.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 06:05 PM

Hi Mups. No I don't disturb them unless they didn't perform well last year. I Mulch them over the winter and then in the following spring I remove the few inches of soil and mulch and recover with fresh compost. I don't go down deep enough to find the tuber. P.S. Some delivery drivers are not inclined to do much in the way of being helpful lately thanks to CVirus. Take care not to hurt yourself!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 06:42 PM

I bought a new pair of gardening gloves on sat . Went out in the garden in them for five minutes put them down somewhere and haven’t seen them since grurrhhh.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2020, 07:01 PM

I've been in the garden today where I've levelled up some block paving under the pergola, set some more vegetable seeds in the greenhouse and build a framework to net over my carrots and turnips. It's been a gorgeous afternoon for it though hasn't it, a real touch of spring in the sunshine...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2020, 07:05 PM

I have been toiling like a Trojan all day .
Am totally knackered and want someone to wait on me alas Mr Mud wants the same .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top