Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 11:18 AM

Re: Law of the jungle

At the moment we are just having to, shut up, put up and ride the storm.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 11:19 AM

That good to hear Meg .
I also live in a village and people have been offering help to those who can’t get out.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 02:09 PM

The couple opposite me put a note through my door last night and asked if I needed any shopping done.
They also wrote their mobile number down in case I felt lonely and needed a chat anytime.
I felt quite touched and am very grateful for people like this couple.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 02:42 PM

Now, the other side of the coin.
I received this from Action Fraud today:

Fraud - Coronavirus
Coronavirus- Related Frauds increase by 400% in March

Fraudsters will use any opportunity they can to take money from innocent people.
This includes exploting tragedies and global emergencies.

Online shopping scams where people have ordered protective face masks, hand sanitizer which have never arrived.

Another current one is the 'Good Causes' scam including investments that boast high yeilds due to the involvementcam of production of hand santiser, personal protection equipment and new drugs to treat coranavirus.

The police work together with action fraud,government and the private sector to combat this criminal activity and protect the public.

If you or someone you know thinks they have been a victim then report to Action Fraud.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 03:04 PM

Troubled times has always meant opportunities. It was just the same in WW2...and nothing changes for the unscrupulous.

Rationing led to theft
Conmen took advantage
Crimes went international
Workers right became illegal
People abused the system
Black market boomed
Gang activity increased
Killers had a field day
Looting was rife.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Troubled times has always meant opportunities. It was just the same in WW2...and nothing changes for the unscrupulous.

Rationing led to theft
Conmen took advantage
Crimes went international
Workers right became illegal
People abused the system
Black market boomed
Gang activity increased
Killers had a field day
Looting was rife.
We don't hear of that Solo....I always thought people pulled together in the war years. I think in any crisis though there are folks who think only of themselves...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
We don't hear of that Solo....I always thought people pulled together in the war years. I think in any crisis though there are folks who think only of themselves...
You're 'avin a larf! Big cities especially would hardly have survived without The Black Market! In the country a good 25% of produce fuelled it in spite of government inspectors who were themselves trousering a slice of the action. Even after VE during rationing it continued and if anything increased. I well remember meat and groceries in general being readily available and people selling their ration to others not in the know of whom there were VERY few, at least in Manchester and other Northern cities.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
You're 'avin a larf! Big cities especially would hardly have survived without The Black Market! In the country a good 25% of produce fuelled it in spite of government inspectors who were themselves trousering a slice of the action. Even after VE during rationing it continued and if anything increased. I well remember meat and groceries in general being readily available and people selling their ration to others not in the know of whom there were VERY few, at least in Manchester and other Northern cities.
Most of our black market stuff came from a 'man in the know' who were nearly always in govenment employ under one guise or another. If you wanted it bad enough you paid the price and kept your mouth and source close to your chest.
solo
UK

29-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
From a crime book I read summer

https://www.historyextra.com/period/...ond-world-war/
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 12:35 PM

Unfortunately, it is going to get far worse before this crisis is over. The criminal sociopathic element in our societies will take full advantage.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top