Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 10:20 PM

Re: Hand Washing

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It is exactly for that Mups. They used to have large drums of it in breaker's yards for cleaning GREASE off your hands. Anyone wishing to moisturise should try Nivea.

Ah, but I got told I was wrong dongle, so I must be.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Nivea is good - and it is not tested on animals!
Even better.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 10:47 PM

Trying to understand how this thread sprung up. But if you read the guidance plain soap and water is the gold standard. You just need to ensure you wash effectively and don't leave bits of the hand out.

I really don't understand the obsession with different detergents and cleaners. Soap and water works. The virus does not embed itself in your skin like grease or like some sort of burr!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Nivea is good - and it is not tested on animals!
We have a few wright's coal tar soaps. I realise it's not the original formula but it's good soap and it lasts for ages. Some of the fluffier soaps don't last long. Luckily it was less popular than the doves and camays etc. So it was still available well before the lockdown. People keep buying the dettol or anti viral soaps but I don't see the point. Soap works if it's just plain soap!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Trying to understand how this thread sprung up. But if you read the guidance plain soap and water is the gold standard. You just need to ensure you wash effectively and don't leave bits of the hand out.

I really don't understand the obsession with different detergents and cleaners. Soap and water works. The virus does not embed itself in your skin like grease or like some sort of burr!

That's how I see it too, Annie.

I understand that any soap and hot, running water will be perfectly adequate.

As you also say, as long as you wash every part of your hands, nails, and between fingers and thumb properly.
Use running water so that it is all flushed away immediately and not just a bowl of standing water.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-03-2020, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's how I see it too, Annie.

I understand that any soap and hot, running water will be perfectly adequate.

As you also say, as long as you wash every part of your hands, nails, and between fingers and thumb properly.
Use running water so that it is all flushed away immediately and not just a bowl of standing water.
Exactly and I wash my nails too with a nailbrush. But you do not need to scrub your skin off with harmful abrasives to have clean hands. The biggest risk is going out and not wearing gloves in public places. But the virus does not live forever on surfaces in the house. The estimated max is 72 hours on smooth surfaces, a max of 24 on paper and cardboard (probably much less). After a few days nothing in the house should be contaminated. Yes it can get on clothes if you get close to others but it has a finite life cycle with no host.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 09:34 AM

I wash and I moisturise but my hands are still dry...and my nails are in a state too. Don't suggest products to me I have a cupboard full...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 09:40 AM

I bought two bars of pears soap yesterday ( stockpiling !) my hands are rough enough ( due to constantly losing gardening gloves ) without degreaser to add to their trauma !
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I wash and I moisturise but my hands are still dry...and my nails are in a state too. Don't suggest products to me I have a cupboard full...
Don’e moisturise your hands until about 5 mins after you’ve dried them, the hand cream will react much better then.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Don’e moisturise your hands until about 5 mins after you’ve dried them, the hand cream will react much better then.
I'll give that a try Mags...thanks.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top