Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 11:42 AM

Re: Branson Bailout

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's air traffic that's got us into this mess in the first place. British Airways should be the one (if any) that any money should be invested. Branson's outfit can hardly be called 'British' anymore...Far too many people coming and going through our airports.
"British" Airways is now owned by a Spanish holding company. International Consolidated Airlines Group S.A.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
"British" Airways is now owned by a Spanish holding company. International Consolidated Airlines Group S.A.
Well it's time we took it back! It's just disgraceful the way British companies are farmed out abroad...
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 04:47 PM

It was part of the deal when BA merged with Iberia and since it's only for tax reasons.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 05:22 PM

Well it's time we took it back! It's just disgraceful the way British companies are farmed out abroad...
Who are "we"?

When it was sold BA was a privately owned business. It had rightly been privatised, running businesses is not the job of government.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-03-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
It was part of the deal when BA merged with Iberia and since it's only for tax reasons.
Err, not tax reasons. It enabled the rationalisation of two businesses active in a largely common market so enabling the benefits that come with scale plus the sharing of airport "slots" meaning that some could be sold or leased.

This meant that the operating costs to be reduced per bum on seat which enabled a takeover offer that was just too good to pass up for shareholders.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 06:39 PM

Who are "we"?

When it was sold BA was a privately owned business. It had rightly been privatised, running businesses is not the job of government.
Err, not tax reasons. It enabled the rationalisation of two businesses active in a largely common market so enabling the benefits that come with scale plus the sharing of airport "slots" meaning that some could be sold or leased.

This meant that the operating costs to be reduced per bum on seat which enabled a takeover offer that was just too good to pass up for shareholders.
Yes, I can see your point Todger, good business, but perhaps flying has got too cheap and too many people are doing it. Globalism is killing us! in more ways than one.....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-03-2020, 08:15 PM

Yes, I can see your point Todger, good business, but perhaps flying has got too cheap and too many people are doing it. Globalism is killing us! in more ways than one.....
I also believe that flying be it "Ass or Trash" (Gawd but I've mixed with some awful people!) has become too cheap we I am fervently opposed to the advent of Globalism.

Does that last bit surprise you?
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 08:54 PM

Help if offered to the self employed, but I am informed it will be a loan that has to be repaid

So will the Virgin plan, for a government bail out also be repayable with interest.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-03-2020, 11:57 AM

I also believe that flying be it "Ass or Trash" (Gawd but I've mixed with some awful people!) has become too cheap we I am fervently opposed to the advent of Globalism.

Does that last bit surprise you?
Not really Todger, you are an interesting bloke and I like your wit, and apart from the odd disagreement we have a lot in common.....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

30-03-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
Help if offered to the self employed, but I am informed it will be a loan that has to be repaid

So will the Virgin plan, for a government bail out also be repayable with interest.
Probably not. Most likely a grant on the basis that it would be supporting a strategic national resource or just maybe buying a %age of the business.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top