Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Re: Are grown up kids selfish today?

I have two sons-in-law, and they seem to like this senile old bat. I only offer an opinion if asked for it, where my children are concerned. I would never talk in a negative way about them, or their spouses, to others, especially on a forum.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Luckily we never had kids so don't have any problems in that department
I notice you say 'luckily' there Vanily.
I wasn't so lucky unfortunately!:
When I look around today at todays selfish teenage youth, I wish a lot of them had ended up inside a Durex!
This instead of outside with us right now.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Some people moan about today's youth, but I don't think previous generations were any better. If some poster's comments on this forum are a reflection of their personalities, heaven help us!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:02 PM

I think it's more to do with not being adaptable, not moving with the times.

Whereas we'd pick up the phone for a chat, many of our children and their generation spend time texting and using social media to keep in touch.

My kids do both, but whereas my daughters both phone and chat, one in Australia and one in London, often in the car on her way home from work...my son only phones when it's necessary.

But they're all of them always on WhatsApp or Kik, keeping in regular contact with colleagues and friends, and daily nattering on these apps between us all is an absolute delight.

If you're a member here and post on here then you're as computer savvy as you need to be!

WhatsApp I believe is only for smartphones, but Kik is for tablets like mine...try it!!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Generational differences. Remember we had that pointed out when we were youngsters. "When I were a lass" and so on still rings in my ears and the sermons that went with it.

These day our youth is not so much as selfish more thoughtless. We had to pay respect whether we liked the crabby shopkeeper or that Aunt that didn't really like kids.

We also had no choice about money as we only got a small amount of pocket money or earnt that extra bob or two so we valued what we spent it on.

Different generation different values.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2018, 12:07 PM

I have no wish to go back to the past.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Generational differences. Remember we had that pointed out when we were youngsters. "When I were a lass" and so on still rings in my ears and the sermons that went with it.

These day our youth is not so much as selfish more thoughtless. We had to pay respect whether we liked the crabby shopkeeper or that Aunt that didn't really like kids.

We also had no choice about money as we only got a small amount of pocket money or earnt that extra bob or two so we valued what we spent it on.

Different generation different values.
I understand what you are saying and you are right that our parents told us that they never had what we had, but we were still brought up with good manners and knew how to care.

Many young people now put their own needs first and would rather see an elderly parent be put in a home, than care for them themselves.

When my dad died in his 50s we took my mum out for the evening every Sunday. Paid her a wage to vacuum my bungalow every week and she then stayed with us for an evening meal. We took her shopping on Saturdays and she would stay for lunch.

What our parents need, when their children leave home, is to still feel wanted and part of your life. Even if they live miles away, a phone call or chat online makes them feel that you still care. Too many kids these days see parents as child minders or money lenders when they want something.... but I suspect the minority do things to show that they care about Mum and Dad.

I have always felt that parents do too much for their children, but you never can be sure that they will return the favour when the parents are in need.

I have no kids but I am often shocked when I see how my friends kids threat their parents.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 03:26 PM

Hi

What goes around, comes around.

I well remember my Grandparents telling my parents how lucky they were and to stop whinging.

The same with my parents and myself.

I didn't make that mistake with my kids, just pointed out you have to learn a living.

I went halves with them, no matter how daft I thought the things they were buying.

It is Centuries old, even Plato complained about modern youth in his time.

Nadi and Jacob, my pretendies, absolutely need things I consider to be a complete waste of money.

They are on fixed Pocket Money with their parents, a very clear system.

They do their chores, if they do not, they don't get their Pocket Money.

If they want more, they have to do chores for me, Mum negotiates the rates, not me.

I must admit though that there are times I spoil them rotten.

That is what Grandads are for.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 04:01 PM

Since my son left home,he is a changed person,and that is for the better,don't know what i would do without him,wonderful son,imo.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2018, 05:22 PM

I think life is much more complicated for the young these days. Whilst modern technology is a good thing in many ways, it can also make it stressful too.

My daughters are connected to their mobile phones 24/7, I only have mine with me when I am driving, just in case of emergency.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top