Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:26 AM

Re: Water Filter Jugs

We've used a couple of Brita water jugs for a while for water to be used in the kettle and coffee maker and they really do make a difference to the taste. Only slight downside is that it's important to change the activated charcoal filters regularly and clean out the jugs.

HOWEVER - When we were having the kitchen tarted up we had a water filter installed under the sink so that all water out of the cold tap has been filtered which is great. Filter change every year which is very simple to do. I leave that to my wife though!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that tap water is horrible and a filter makes all the difference in the world though for taking "neat" it's got to be decent bottled water. There IS a difference.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:33 AM

We have much nicer water here than at my last village, (if you ran a bath it would be blue!). If you let it run a bit it's nice and cold.
I'm not sure about water filters, I worry about what's in the filter bit, some kind of chemical?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Here’s mine.
Not seen one like that before - sounds useful.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
We have much nicer water here than at my last village, (if you ran a bath it would be blue!). If you let it run a bit it's nice and cold.
I'm not sure about water filters, I worry about what's in the filter bit, some kind of chemical?
Charcoal. Nothing else. It's crushed and mushed but just pure charcoal. In other words carbon. Nothing else.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 12:49 PM

I change my water filter at the beginning of each month. Easy to remember that way.

ST, I think I got that bottle in B&M, but will check.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 02:27 PM

I have had Brita water filters in the past and it was a bind always having to change the filter which were expensive then.

I just drink cold water from the tap. If l go out for a meal, l drink a jug of water as their water out of the tap seems to be nicer than mine!

I don’t buy bottled still water, flavoured or sparkling water as l don’t like the taste.

Just tap water for me!!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 04:19 PM

Before we moved to Worcester we lived in Hertford where the tap water is as hard as nails. If we didn't use a water filter then we would have been chemically de-furring the kettle and steam iron every week. In the 12 years we lived in the apartment there, we had to change the hot water cylinder twice because of the limescale build up wrecking the element and the cylinder itself.

Worcester's water is so soft in comparison we no longer use our filter jug.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 05:22 PM

The water is hard here - that is the problem.

Thank you to everyone for your replies - will give the matter some more thought!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 04:14 PM

For all concerned, try Googling "hard water maps". Loads and loads of info comes up regarding hard water.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top