Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Re: Are we too PC?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There was a item on BBC this morning.

Some are complaining that the voices on Sat Navs, Alexa , Google Home etc are female and that they should be Gender Neutral.

On the self-service at my local M & S, they have got Ant & Dec's voices blaring out. Made me jump first time.

Is there such a thing as a 'gender neutral' voice?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
On the self-service at my local M & S, they have got Ant & Dec's voices blaring out. Made me jump first time.

Peggy Mount?

I prefer men's voices, I find women hard to hear especially on telly.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:13 AM

These PC nutters should be resisted.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:18 AM

"They" need to focus more on stopping hate crimes and providing services for those attempting suicide etc. not nit-picking every aspect of everyday life.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Yet more PC twaddle!
Below an exert from an article in 'Mature Times' :

" I’ve recently been thinking about all the pressure that companies and organisations seem to be under to play the PC game, and I got to wondering if thisis sometimes really worth it?
Let me give you an example and this is in regard to something as inoffensive and innocuous as a box of tissues!

The company Kimberley-Clark who produces Kleenex tissues last year announced that, following complaints, their “Man-size” tissues would be subject to a re-branding exercise and would henceforth be known as “extra-large” instead.
The complaints that they had received suggested that the use of “Man-size” supported gender inequality. I’m sorry, but you have a product that has been sold for years and years and suddenly the humble tissue becomes a target for sexual discrimination – I really don’t get what all the fuss is about.

But there are other examples, too.
How about the British Medical Association who advised its members that pregnant women, or mothers-to-be should be simply referred to as “pregnant people” to avoid offence and to celebrate diversity?

Then there’s the example of “drag queens” being banned from a Gay Pride event in Glasgow in case they cause offence to transgender people! "

Seems to me there are more nutters about than ever.
Cue the morbidly obese to complain.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:31 AM

You could take it further and say "bull shit" is sexist. call it "large animal shit" instead.

This could be a good game to play

How many other sexists sayings can we ruin?
Such as referring to a ship as "she" etc
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

22-05-2019, 10:35 AM

We should start complaining about being called, old, pensioners, elderly, fogies, past it, bed blockers, waiting for wormers etc. etc....
Anyone else have any names we should complain about?

That'll show 'em!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Hi

There was a item on BBC this morning.

Some are complaining that the voices on Sat Navs, Alexa , Google Home etc are female and that they should be Gender Neutral.
Mine sounds Indian, drives me crazy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Hi

I like female voices on my gadgets.

A rare chance for a man to say get lost to a female voice without getting into trouble.
Me too. I'm not used to being bossed around by a man.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

22-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Sainsbury's had the dulcet tones of Alan Carr.

I almost dumped my shopping and walked out for some normality.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top