Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 03:24 PM

Re: A step toward complete democracy?

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Are you sure about that TAT? In my opinion, PR and AV voting systems only ever result in hung parliaments or coalitions that constantly fall apart usually resulting in the need for another election. You only have to look at Italy's horrendous general election record since 1945 to see that.
I'm absolutely certain of it. It's a price well worth paying.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I'm absolutely certain of it. It's a price well worth paying.
I have heard both sides of this argument and that PR can result in hung parliaments in which nothing can be agreed and, hence, nothing much gets done.
Percy mentions Italy as being such an example.

On the other hand, unless I'm mistaken, Germany also has such a situation relating to 'hung parliaments' though I'm not sure whether that is due to a PR system. In their case, though, Germany seems to run efficiently regarding their parliament.

Consequently, I'm not too sure whether or not PR would work in this country. I'd like to learn more about such things before I can be certain.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
On the other hand, unless I'm mistaken, Germany also has such a situation relating to 'hung parliaments' though I'm not sure whether that is due to a PR system. In their case, though, Germany seems to run efficiently regarding their parliament..
I would go as far as to say that Germany runs efficiently DESPITE its government.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 04:03 PM

Are you sure about that TAT? In my opinion, PR and AV voting systems only ever result in hung parliaments or coalitions that constantly fall apart usually resulting in the need for another election. You only have to look at Italy's horrendous general election record since 1945 to see that.
Irrespective of how it turns out in terms of having a functioning government, it is more democratic than a FPP system.

Think part of the problem is that there has been a failure of imagination and recognition that the way of governing needs to be amended to accommodate PR outcomes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 04:32 PM

I would go as far as to say that Germany runs efficiently DESPITE its government.
OK. Perhaps the UK could also run efficiently despite a PR elected government?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-05-2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Irrespective of how it turns out in terms of having a functioning government, it is more democratic than a FPP system.

Think part of the problem is that there has been a failure of imagination and recognition that the way of governing needs to be amended to accommodate PR outcomes.
Yes. My vote would count more despite my being easily outvoted in my local area.

I have always said that I'd be in favour of PR.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 04:57 PM

On the other hand, unless I'm mistaken, Germany also has such a situation relating to 'hung parliaments' though I'm not sure whether that is due to a PR system. In their case, though, Germany seems to run efficiently regarding their parliament.
As regards GE there hasn't been a hung parliament in Germany but it was the result of some elections in federal states such as Hesse and Hamburg. What is new is that three-party coalitions are getting more common, especially in federal state elections and it remains to be seen what the forthcoming GE in September result in. Our seven-party parliament needs reforming badly because it is getting larger and larger. Having more than 700 MPs in a tiny country like G. is not only ridiculous but also hugely expensive. It's basically the conservatives (CDU) who want to prevent that as it might reduce their number of seats.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-05-2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
As regards GE there hasn't been a hung parliament in Germany but it was the result of some elections in federal states such as Hesse and Hamburg. What is new is that three-party coalitions are getting more common, especially in federal state elections and it remains to be seen what the forthcoming GE in September result in. Our seven-party parliament needs reforming badly because it is getting larger and larger. Having more than 700 MPs in a tiny country like G. is not only ridiculous but also hugely expensive. It's basically the conservatives (CDU) who want to prevent that as it might reduce their number of seats.
I don't know exactly how it works there, but surely you can limit the number of seats.
The ones with the most votes take the first seats?
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 05:22 PM

I don't know exactly how it works there, but surely you can limit the number of seats.
The ones with the most votes take the first seats?
Yes, they can be reduced if all parties agree to reduce the number of constituencies which is inevitable if the number of MPs is to be reduced. The CDU doesn't want that, though, because they get most of the direct mandates in a number of them. It's been a stalemate for some time. After the next GE there will most likely be another attempt to change things.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
Yes, they can be reduced if all parties agree to reduce the number of constituencies which is inevitable if the number of MPs is to be reduced. The CDU doesn't want that, though, because they get most of the direct mandates in a number of them. It's been a stalemate for some time. After the next GE there will most likely be another attempt to change things.
Sounds like turkeys voting about Christmas.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top