Join for free
Page 20 of 46 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 05:12 PM

Re: Kenneth Noye

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Honestly Muddy, I couldn't agree more with you.

When the previous government did away with the death penalty, the people of the UK were PROMISED that life would mean life in its place. Successive governments ever since have watered that promise down to joke sentencing of Life imprisonment and its meaning.

It's an absolute disgrace that this vile killer is back out on the street. How distraught that poor young man's family must be, and how this young man's life must, in their eyes, be worthless because of the life sentence his killer received and should still be serving.

I really feel for the victim's family.

I don't recall such promise, perhaps you would care to elaborate ???
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 05:40 PM

Got me there Joe! I distinctly remember back in the 60's, the saying "Life will mean Life" though when Capital punishment was put forward, it seemed every MP was uttering those words. I know the last hanging was in 1964 with Ruth Ellis, but believe Capital punishment wasn't actually finally abolished until the 90's?

Now it seems to be a Life sentence is 25 years. If someone kills more than one person, they can get two consecutive life sentences which is 50 years, appeal on one of the killings, get the sentence for one of the murders knocked off their sentence and they are free on the streets after serving just 25 years (with probably more time taken off for good behaviour) this, after committing two murders.

Surely this cannot be right. Just what is a valuable life worth these days? Not a life sentence as one would imagine is deserving.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Hi

A simple fact of life.

If it was my daughter who had testified against him, I would not be a happy womble.

I simply do not trust the Police.

I love my kids, I would do whatever is necessary to protect them.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Got me there Joe! I distinctly remember back in the 60's, the saying "Life will mean Life" though when Capital punishment was put forward, it seemed every MP was uttering those words. I know the last hanging was in 1964 with Ruth Ellis, but believe Capital punishment wasn't actually finally abolished until the 90's?

Capital punishment for murder was abolished in 1965 but remained in place for treason, espionage, arson in a royal dockyard and piracy with violence, all since abolished.

I was surprised to find that beheading as a means of execution was not abolished until 1973..
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I don't recall such promise, perhaps you would care to elaborate ???
You are a Moron.

Sentenced to Life you are sentenced to life for your crime of murder.

BUT you might be relised from prison after your tariffe.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Noye served almost 20 years. I think that's more than a "few years."
And he is not exactly free. He is under licence.

Please understand, I have no sympathy for the guy. What he has done I find abhorrent.

I respect your opinion.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->

I was surprised to find that beheading as a means of execution was not abolished until 1973..
Good grief - I didn't know that, Ray. I learn something every day on here.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 08:05 PM

I certainly didn't know that either Ray. It is fascinating what one finds by googling "capital punishment".
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, a fair point.
USA has capital punishment yet its homicide rate is about 4.5 times that of UK.
The population of the US is much bigger than the US

There is no evidence that it works.
Of course there is .
Executed murderers never re offend .

Then there is deterrence
How can you get evidence of ,something you cannot see.

There may be thousands of people who have been deterred from murder by fear of CP but this cannot be measured .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Just found out that Gypsy is a corruption of the word Egyptian as the Romanies were said to have come from Egypt, and back in way back when the people thought very little of gypsies as they were seen as without clergy and crafty. To be seen in the company of, to dress as one when not, and stay in Wales if a gypsy or living with them for longer than one month was seen as a crime of felony. and therefore execution followed!! Good grief!

Page 20 of 46 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top